Sold my 2003 Honda!

• Member Contributer

No, not that Honda.

20 years ago today I brought home my brand new 2003 Honda Element, $20,000 cash. I have owned that car for two decades, it has been one of the most practical and useful vehicles we've owned, and no car payments meant some monthly cash was freed up to spend on motorcycles! Here is it, just arrived home to Cranbury NJ, July 17, 2003, probably 15 miles on the odometer:

100_0034.thumb.JPG.df4b35c5fc523b21eca2fff26a13113b.JPG

With just a few detours we have always owned Hondas. My wife's car is a 15 year old TL. Our first new car was a 1980 Civic wagon. I got a CRX the first year it came out. Two Accords, an Odyssey. The most incredibly beat used Honda 350 Scrambler when I was in college. 1985 VF700 which I kept for 16 years. 2002 VFR, 2010 VFR, 2003 RC-51 (which I am NOT selling). And a few lawnmowers.

2003 Honda towing 2003 Honda, on the way to a track day:

IMG_2917.JPG

What's next? Ordered a Subaru Crosstrek. With a trailer hitch!

• Member Contributer

I bought a 2007 (that I love) a couple years ago

Element.thumb.jpg.7a21ba7fc7c9c8ac9f2dbdc49bb59509.jpg

to replace the 1999 K2500 Suburban we just weren't using anymore. This is a picture I took of the Burb right after selling and walking away with tears in my eyes.

1999_Suburban.thumb.jpg.9e8cd8e02fbd733a679bc7e34348f60c.jpg

The Element is great and I got it right before the used car market went fucking stupid.  It was quick decision to get something utilitarian to fill a void, and it has certainly done that.  Didn't want black, but I did want a 2007/08 EX with AWD.  Have since decided I do like this vehicle in black.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, vfrgiving said:

How many miles on the 2003 Element when you sold it?

Only about 180K miles. I went to work by train the first five years of ownership, then moved to the midwest where I had a short commute. But it's been cross country a few times, and was the workhorse for most jobs you would usually use a truck or van for. And w AWD and OK ground clearance it worked off road too.

Also, it was a five speed, pretty rare. Both my sons learned to drive on the Element, knowing clutch and shift turned out to be useful.

As Captain mentioned, I also shed a tear when the guy I sold it to drove off. Not as attached as most of my bikes, but a solid, dependable Honda. It never sat in a garage, spent 20 years in the hot sun, snow, rain and (KCMO) more than one ice storm.

Titus Canyon Road in the middle of nowhere, Nevada across the state line into Death Valley:

IMG_4803.JPG

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

No, not that Honda.

Whew! For a moment or two I worried that you were leaving VFRD and we'd see no more of your lovely photos.

Archived