Braided lines

Presson

• Member Contributer

Hoping those who have already fitted braided lines to a 8 Gen might be able to help. The 3 way fitting on the original front lines that attaches to the RHS front mudguard ( fender?) is an integral bracket with a tab for orientation and a second bracket for the abs wire on top:

IMG_20230709_160351109.thumb.jpg.d9165fb72c10a7219f325685e7dcf1e3.jpg

The HEL line at that junction comes with a simple clip:

16889158285751470812985430480213.thumb.jpg.699eb7847f1278e842e969834f83f816.jpg

Any views on whether to:

A. Shorten the bolt which affixes to the mudguard and just use the HEL supplied clip plus the ABS wire clip ( slightly adjusted in shape to fit,

or

B. Cut the original Honda line junction off and reuse as a base for the HEL clip and ABS clip.

I realise this is a bit about aesthetics although retaining the Honda supplied junction does stand the brake lines off the fender which may also prevent rubbing. Any thoughts or observations?

• Member Contributer

I would use the HEL clip, with a rubber washer behind the fixing point, but bend it slightly outwards so the lines and clip aren't touching the mudguard. Then, using the same bolt and location for the brake line clamp, use a separate clip of the correct diameter for the ABS wire, would be fairly small. I cant see how you could reuse the OEM one as there is the brake line junction which with your new lines is no longer necessary. It would push everything outwards. Also where do you put a clip for the brake lines to stop them flapping about?

If done right it would look smart.

• Member Contributer

Hey, thanks very much Bren for a good idea. I should have been clearer that the ABS wire clip is separate from the OEM brake hose junction so can be easy reused, but you've given me an idea of making up a brass collar rather than a rubber washer for the securing bolt to go through to achieve stand off on the new brake lines from the fender.

• Member Contributer

Glad I was, in a way, helpful 😅.

Shoot a pic when done as I don't have a 6/8th gen so I don't really know how that all fits together.

• Member Contributer

My experience with HEL lines on my 5th Gen was not good so I hope yours works out better.

• Member Contributer

Hi Skids, what was the issue and how did you resolve it? I haven't fitted mine yet, just been working out what goes where so far

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Presson said:

Hi Skids, what was the issue and how did you resolve it? I haven't fitted mine yet, just been working out what goes where so far

Hi m8. It was my 01 re-vamp I finished earlier this year.

I started a thread about the issue so best have a read of that if you want rather than me repeat it all but I think the issue I had I don't think the 8th Gen will have, but it really buggered me around for a short while until I decided to ditch the HEL and get Galfer, which I'd fitted before on my 6th Gen. TBH, HEL CS was very good about reimbursing me.

Can't imagine we're too far apart so if you fancy a chat/coffee, I'm sure we can arrange.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Skids for the pointer to your thread. You clearly had a very frustrating time with the lines on your 01. If I read correctly you understandably ditched the HEL after getting a second leak. That made me think that I'll only know if the lines I've got are okay if I fit them. However, it did prompt me to look closely at the fittings; found a burr on one pipe end and swarf in another, both of which would have prevented a good seal. Both sorted now. I'll let you know how I get on. 

• Member Contributer

Job completed without drama and no leaks (phew - Skids report of his problems with an 01 model gave me some trepidation). Only the front done; I am leaving the rear for another time when I have more of it.

Some thoughts:

1. The HEL lines have SAE 45° flare fittings and that's correct.

2. Fitting the flare on the line from the master cylinder was a real pain. The braided lines are very stiff as reported by someone elsewhere so don't tighten anything up until you're satisfied with alignment. I found that feeding the flare loosely into the fitting before bolting up the support block worked. Could have used 3 hands though.

IMG_20230715_114244403_HDR.thumb.jpg.7c4923aa3bfd56e0045e30d630707c4c.jpg

3. The support block for the flare on the line down to the caliper was straightforward. Note that the HEL fitting is not as deep as the OEM version so the nut looks proud but seals fine.

IMG_20230715_114224550.thumb.jpg.994768877589ac36a4a53522e724c4af.jpg

4. As I had completely overhauled the calipers as well I was priming a largely dry system but it was straightforward. As reported elsewhere there are a couple of high points where air can get trapped. The main one is over the mudguard. Taking the LHS caliper off, moving it to the RHS ( looking forward) enabled manipulation of air in that part towards the nipple and it then bled out easily. Once refitted on the LHS it was just a case of bleeding like normal. The other high point is where the line curves over from the LHS flare joint. Just manipulating the line seemed to do the trick.

5. It looks better than stock...and should improve braking.IMG_20230715_114129565_HDR.thumb.jpg.9734d165516f8a1868bc3b1d7edbf1e9.jpg

IMG_20230715_114147858_HDR.thumb.jpg.e93f9f25b91fab7688702cdc9439500b.jpg

Hope that helps anyone else doing this job. And yes I know the nipple dust caps are missing in the photos 

Archived