Airhawk AHDS - Dual Sport seat cover for 8gen

Grum

• Member Contributer

Hi All.

Seeking some advice.

After major surgery in Feb this year I haven't been able to ride the VFR until a week ago, a short 40 kilometer test ride, all was good except for some lower pain issues over bumpy roads.

I am contemplating purchasing the Airhawk inflatable cushion seat to see if this helps, I've never had one before and keen to get the thoughts of those who have, in particular anyone that may have fitted this one to their 8gen. I'd like to be sure that with the rider seat set at the lowest position that the under seat buckles and straps don't hit or interfere with the battery cover etc. or make the fitting and removal of the rider seat awkward, and of course overall performance and comfort of the seat.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards to all the Gang.

Cheers.

Grum.:beer:

https://airhawk.com.au/product/ahds-dual-sport/

The Airhawk does a respectable job of lessening road impact shocks.   I don't usually use one for commuting or days trips, but I have one I'll throw on a Sargent seat (5th gen) if I'm going to be spending long hours in the seat.  I just got back from a trip across the States and had it on the bike.  The buckles are very small and the straps are thin and stretchy.  They shouldn't interfere with seat install.  This is the AHR-L https://airhawk.com.au/product/ahr-l-airhawk-r-l/

IMG_20230513_112836_(1080_x_486_pixel).thumb.jpg.7c381b3ec5310da7462b03c1cceab30c.jpg

I'm not familiar with the 8th gen seat, but I'd recommend looking at the AHR-S instead over the ADV pad.  https://airhawk.com.au/product/ahr-s-airhawk-r-s/

Like my AHR-L shown, there's no cushioning down the center so your tail bone has nothing pressing on it.

The pad does take some getting used to.  There's an odd squishy feeling to it and you may feel a bit disconnected from the bike.  If there's a fun road you like where your riding becomes more sporting you'll probably want to pull it.  That's really not a problem though, as it only takes a minute to remove it. 

• Member Contributer

Thanks vfrgiving, good advice there.

The AHDS dimensions seem to match nicely to the 8gen seat and talking to Airhawk it is the recommended one for the 8gen.

Decided to bite the bullet and placed an order for one. I just hope this can relieve some very lower pain issues I have from surgery, always have had a bit of a tender bum with long rides but up until now have just put up with it.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

I use one if touring on the Viffer and it does help extend the day, less is more for air, too much air and it will feel like a balloon and bounce you around, put some air in it and sit on it, when your butt touches the seat close the valve, it's meant to just fill the gaps. 

17 minutes ago, VifferJ said:

I use one if touring on the Viffer and it does help extend the day, less is more for air, too much air and it will feel like a balloon and bounce you around, put some air in it and sit on it, when your butt touches the seat close the valve, it's meant to just fill the gaps. 

It definitely doesn't need much air, but I would disagree about touching the seat.  Air level should get you just off the seat, that's also Airhawk's recommendation.

• Member Contributer

Thanks VifferJ and vfrgiving. I'm glad its just a case of only just being off the seat, another thing I was concerned about was overall seat height, didn't want to increase it by much, preferably not at all. Looking forward to seeing how the seat goes.

Thanks again gents.

13 hours ago, Grum said:

Thanks VifferJ and vfrgiving. I'm glad its just a case of only just being off the seat, another thing I was concerned about was overall seat height, didn't want to increase it by much, preferably not at all.

It's not much, but for the pad to do its job it needs to get you up off the seat.  One of their YouTube videos says about 1/4".

I have one.  I don't like it.  It makes me feel disconnected from the bike.    I've tried it with the factory seat, and a Corbin seat.  Probably should try to sell it.

No worries with regards to the straps.  Even in the low seat position, there's plenty of room.

IMG_20230515_181617.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks Sparkie.

That's another issue I heard about and does concern me a bit, but my riding is a little more docile than what it used to be. If I can get over this post surgery thing there will be times I may not want to ride with it on.

Good news about the straps, thanks.

Archived