Fuel pump wiring

Foster

I'm looking for some help with my 2002 vfr800 vtec. 

I have searched the forum and found a little bit of information on the green earth wire melting for the fuel pump. Now am I right in saying that if I replace the green wire at the front left of the bike at the blue connector this should get my bike running? 

Or is there a better solution? I do plan on replacing the wiring harness but looking for a suitable solution until I get a new harness. Thanks 

• Member Contributer

If you look at the ground for the Fuel Pump on this drawing for our Australian version you'll see the ground has no relevance to the Blue Connector, it goes directly to the Earth Stud which is located on the frame rear of the Fuel Tank.

Perhaps your Fuel Pump is drawing extra current due to an internal issue or load caused by a dirty fuel filter.

- Is the Fuel Pump electrical connector making a good tight contact, are the contacts clean and no sign of oxidization?

- Have you measured with a multimeter that you have continuity of the Green Fuel Pump wire back to the battery Negative terminal you should be seeing virtual zero ohms resistance? 

- Are all other electrics working ok?

- Can you hear the Fuel Pump prime at every switch on?

- Do you have the Service Manual? It can be downloaded from this forum.

6gen_Grounds.JPG

Circuit_Grounds_6gen_LR.jpg

I bought the bike not working. With the green wire melted and I traced it back for a little bit. There is oxidization in the green wire. I have made a new harness for the fuel pump, because there was corrosion, but needed to find out where to wire the green wire to get the bike running. The brown wire appears to be intact with no visible issues, but will test it. So before I test the resistance, I wanted to sort the wiring. 

So Grum, if I earth the wire to the frame the fuel pump should work? Thanks 

• Member Contributer

Depends upon what actual problem is.

You might have short somewhere, which is why that green wire melted. Replacing it with new wire may not fix short and will melt new wire just same.

So I have done further investigation everything works. I can get the fuel pump to prime from earthing from the frame is this going to be a problem? 

I will replace the wiring loom in due course. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Foster said:

So I have done further investigation everything works. I can get the fuel pump to prime from earthing from the frame is this going to be a problem? 

I will replace the wiring loom in due course. 

If everything else works ok and you have established that you only have a poor Ground for the Fuel Pump, then theres no harm in providing a solid good ground to the Fuel Pump green wire, also assuming you have no issues with the FP itself.

Why are you talking of a major job in replacing the wiring loom?????? Makes no sense and you could potentially introduce more problems!

You're not really telling us much! Can you now start the bike, etc etc?

• Member Contributer

Yeah, what exactly is problem?

- bike doesn't crank?
- fuel-pump doesn't prime?

- FI fuses blow when you turn kill-switch to RUN?

- bike cranks but engine doesn't fire?

- no spark?

- yes spark, but no fuel?

- ???

The latest. The bike cranks, I have checked plugs for corrosion, there is none. I did as Grum said and tested the resistance on the green wire to the negative battery terminal, virtually no resistance. So I should be fine to create my own earth? 

If this is all good I will run my own earth and happy days

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Foster said:

So I have done further investigation everything works

53 minutes ago, Foster said:

The bike cranks,

53 minutes ago, Foster said:

tested the resistance on the green wire to the negative battery terminal, virtually no resistance.

If everything works, the bike cranks and you have no ground issues for the fuel pump. Sounds to me like, problem solved!

You've asked twice about running a separate ground for the FP and an answer has already been provided!

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, Foster said:

Thanks heaps guys. I will finish the job off now. 

Good luck. Hope it all goes well.

Archived