Motorcycle clicks

TonyHy

15 minutes ago, Terry said:

Unscrew the inspection port in the clutch cover and put a socket onto the nut on the end of the crank. It should spin over clockwise smoothly with just some resistance from the compression (If the spark plugs are installed). 

Ok thank you I will try that tomorrow.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
2 hours ago, TonyHy said:

Honestly I'm still not sure why the starter cable was faulty. I looked over it when I took it out of the bike and it didn't look bad only thing it could be is weathering on the copper because there was a a little bit exposed on both sides.

That's perfect example of why one must do instrumented testing:

1. cable #1 works perfectly and spins starter

2. cable #2 doesn't transmit any power at all, doesn't even budge starter

Both cables looks exactly alike!!!

Should strip off insulation from non-working cable. Might discover why it doesn't work.

Ok so I tried to hand spin the engine and it did not budge at all so does that mean the engine is locked up or something else? Also with my old starter cable I'll find a tool so I can strip the rubber off the wire and take a look at it.

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, TonyHy said:

I tried with the plugs in and out and the result didnt change.

Have someone hold in your clutch lever or zip ty it pulled in then try manually turning over the engine. This should separate an issue either within the transmission or the engine.

Don't laugh or call me a fool for saying this! But is your bike on its center stand and absolutely in Neutral gear? Can you freely spin the rear wheel?

Lol yes my bike is defineitly in neutral and on the center stand, the rear wheel spins no problem. I pulled in the clutch and put the bike in 1st gear and I got the rear wheel to spin with little resistance. I'm not too sure about the terms of the bike so I am going to show a picture and clarify what happened so I don't say anything wrong.

unnamed(3).thumb.jpg.bbd819889b460f2f38af83cd6caece78.jpg

Circled in red: (I think its the clutch disc), They spun with no problems when the bike is in neutral and when I had the bike in 1st gear and the clutch lever pulled in it spun as well.

Circled in blue: (I think its the primary drive gear), This does not move at all in neutral or in 1st gear with the clutch lever pulled in.

• Member Contributer

You're confusing me again!

I simply mentioned to pull the clutch in and attempt to manually turn the engine (socket and wrench on the hex bolt of the Primary Gear - clockwise rotation) can you OR can't you turn the engine?

So with the clutch pulled in and the engine turns then your issue is in the transmission, or if you still cannot manually turn the engine with the clutch pulled in you would appear to have some form of lockup in the engine.

At least you've clarified you can freely spin the rear wheel in Neutral.

Archived