Over working fans?

MikeN

Hi, Just got a 5th Gen VFR800FiX and just want to know when the fan should kick in. I've been riding in fairly low temps (5°-15°) and only short distances, admittedly usually low gear and I noticed that the fan seems to operate at a much lower temperature than my last bike (a Triumph Sprint 900), I only notice it when I've stopped, the temp guage is normally showing about 85°, the coolant tank is full. Any help/advice would be great before I start stripping panels off.

• Member Contributer

Someone may have changed the switch. I know I went through about 3 before I found one that starts/stops the fan where I want it to which is 90/80C. The stock one comes on way to late IMO, then has to run for a long time to bring the temps down. 

20 hours ago, Grum said:

Fan thermoswitch should switch on from 98-102degC.

Have you downloaded the 5gen Service Manual from this forum?

I haven't downloaded it yet, I'll get into it. Thanks.

12 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Someone may have changed the switch. I know I went through about 3 before I found one that starts/stops the fan where I want it to which is 90/80C. The stock one comes on way to late IMO, then has to run for a long time to bring the temps down. 

Sounds interesting, I am the fifth owner all I really know about it is that one of the previous owners fitted stainless headers, which was a decider in me getting it. The fans aren't causing an issue other than sounding like a jet taking off when riding through town. Went for a motorway run today and temp didn't get over high 80's so you may be right.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

On the motorway where you have more than enough cooling air pushing through the radiator, the engine temperature should be solely controlled by the thermostat. That should be opening around 78-80C, and if you are moving steadily the temperature will sit right around that point, even when riding fast in a brisk and spirited manner.

Higher temps usually only arise from slow riding or stationary in traffic where there is no natural airflow through the radiator, and then the cooling fan should be doing its thing and cycling around 100C (on at 102 and off at 98 from memory). The fan should not sound like a jet however; you might want to check that there is not some foreign material that is rubbing on the blade e.g. a bit of grass or a twig. If you impede the free rotation of the fan too much, the fuse will blow.

Archived