7-Day Central CA Ride - September-ish 2016

Stucky

I'm planning a seven day ride that will hit a few of the famous LA roads, many of the western Sierras highlights, and Big Sur. I've done probably 75% of the roads on my planned route, and I can say the ride will go through some of the most beautiful scenery in CA; a true sea-to-mountains ride. Click this to see the planned route. Much of the route is borrowed from past rides by the NorCal crew (i.e., BrianF), so thanks goes out to them/Brian for highlighting many of the amazing roads. Below is a rough outline of the itinerary, with the major attractions listed.

1. Day01 (303 miles) - Idyllwild, Big Bear, and Angeles Crest Hwy
  2. Day02 (367 miles) - Caliente Bodfish Rd, Hwy 190, and Kings Canyon
  3. Day03 (231 miles) - Hwy 41, Yosemite, and Hwy 120
  4. Day04 (312 miles) - Hwy 108 and Hwy 4
  5. Day05 (263 miles) - Northern Big Sur, Hwy 1, Nacimiento-Ferguson Rd, and a bit of dirt on the way to camping high above Big Sur
  6. Day06 (317 miles) - Southern Big Sur, Hwy 1, Hwy 58, and Hwy 33
  7. Day07 (207 miles) - Mulholland Hwy, Latigo Canyon Rd, and everyone's favorite: the 5

I'm posting for two reasons: First I'm looking for any must-do roads/attractions that are along my route, but I have overlooked. Please let me know if I'm missing something big that I should add or if there is something I should skip! Second, I'm opening this ride up (the whole thing, or meeting up for portions) to others on the forum to join. I've ridden with a few of you, but it has probably been three or four years; way too long. 

The plan allows for camping every night except for the end of day four; by which time I'll probably want a warm show and bed anyway. Obviously, seven days is a long ride for many, and we'll be putting in a decent amount of hours each day. I wouldn't say this is an "advanced" ride, but we will be riding technical roads for hours each day; that's the fun part! I just want everyone to be prepared physically and mentally. I ride my own ride/pace and I would expect the same out of everyone who joins. Right now I'm looking to complete this ride in September, when the weather should be perfect. I'm thinking of heading out from SD on a Wednesday, as I don't want to be hitting any of the LA roads on a weekend; especially Mulholland. I'm inviting a few of my novice rider friends here in SD to join in, so I'll be nailing down dates after speaking with them. Who's in!?

-Mike

• Member Contributer

Mike,

I believe that BrianF was also looking to do a shorter run similar to the ones we did in the past, I think sometime in the middle of September. Although I like your routes, for sure I could not do all 7 days but could possibly join you on a day or two, especially the Malibu run or maybe the ACH Big Bear route. The one road I would have to mention is Highway 25 in central California, been on there a couple of times and it's always a blast. Going North on 25 beginning at Highway 198 would take you to Hollister and I'm sure there are a few places there that would be worth seeing.

Keep us posted and let's see what BrianF has planned, it might be something to merge the two, so if those who want the longer route can go your way the entire routes or tag along after for an extended ride.

Cheers,

D

• Member Contributer

Wow, from space (on the map) it looks like a trip around Italy, and if you scroll over a few continents, it's the right size!

• Member Contributer

Looks good.  I'd probably drop off after day 6 rather than head further south again but please pencil me in.  No need to change anything but since you asked for input there's some gems within range of Nacimiento-Fergusson camping you may find interesting (Chimney Rock, Peachy Canyon)...a Google search on "SBR Spring Fling" will yield a detailed narrative.

If Brian already has a Sept. ride in the works I'll defer to that ride. I'll leave this thread open for now, but may remove it when Brian posts up. 

Regardless, thanks for the route feedback guys!

• Member Contributer

There is a nice Mines Road section in "Rolling Thunder Hits Silicon Valley" thread.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zMft-Gviqssc.kBryBZk9cGuU

It runs from 580 / Livermore to San Jose ...probably similar to the SC Polomar route.

It has a nice segway via San Filipe/Metcalf to Baily/McKean/Hecker Pass (and interesting shortcuts like Mt Madona/Hazel Del).

From which there is another segway via Highway 25 to Prewitt Ridge mentioned in a forever stalled Bay Aria/Central Coast thread

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zqVkZQDS4i8o.kF7e5CvbEaxs

Ideally, we could plug into Brian's  Sep 9/10 and extend through Sep 11 and 12!

• 2 weeks later...

If you camp at Kirk Creek Campground, which is at the base of   Nacimiento-Ferguson Rd or Plaskett Campground, just south you can stay in the bicycle/ hiker camp spots for 5.00/ night.  I'm personally not a fan of Nacimiento rd. because it is very rough, and any rain will have covered it in sand, so it will be a slow hairy go.  But some people like it.  the views are great.

6 hours ago, ridered said:

I'm personally not a fan of Nacimiento rd. 

I think the west side up to the crest is where the money is, done out-and-back from Kirk Creek. Using it as a through-road is questionable if not masochistic. 

• Member Contributer

When I camp at Kirk Creek, I book 6 months ahead of time.....It used to be empty all the time, and then Sunset Magazine did an article on it, now good luck, it is ALWAYS booked - even in December!

15 hours ago, RC1237V said:

When I camp at Kirk Creek, I book 6 months ahead of time.....It used to be empty all the time, and then Sunset Magazine did an article on it, now good luck, it is ALWAYS booked - even in December!

I don't think the hiker/biker sites can be reserved.  I stayed at plasket in the hiker biker site, because everything was full.  That was back in April.  Plasket also has running water.

18 hours ago, BrianF said:

I think the west side up to the crest is where the money is, done out-and-back from Kirk Creek. Using it as a through-road is questionable if not masochistic. 

I did the trough ride, then did Peach Tree/ Indian Valley Rd all before lunch.  Don't know what I was thinking, that was brutal.  Thought I was going to have to service the suspension afterwards.   Especially carrying full luggage and camping gear.

But I got this awesome shot, although I'm no BrianF.

IMG_0935.jpg

• Member Contributer

I love Nacimento-Furgesson, rode it this past Memorial Day weekend. Not a lot of places to pass safely but still feasible. I guess my DMr suspension makes the difference. 

• Member Contributer

Having a PBR on Prewitt Ridge at sunset has been on my bucket list for a couple of years.  NF west side does require caution re debris but my favorite part is the run from Hunter Liggett to the base of the east side.  There is also a Peachy Canyon / Chimney Rock loop within striking distance near Paso Robles.  DMR front suspension does seem to cure the floppy sensation I used to get in tight slow hair pins

• 2 weeks later...

N-F road is a goat trail.  But man!  What a view!  Or I should say, "....views"!  I've taken this road twice it's very typical of the old California donkey trails that they just paved over!  LOL!  Kind of reminds me of Santa Rosa Creek Road out of Cambria, and some parts of Carmel Valley road.    God I love that area of California.  Chimney Rock loop = check.  Indian Valley/Peachtree road = check.  I can stay there for days and ride every day for a week and be living the dream.

Archived