2003 VFR thermostat and running rich

hjroan

I recently bought a 2003 VFR with just over 7500 miles, it has a delkevic exhaust and a power commander 5. I noticed that the engine temps fluctuate a lot but typically stays under 180 when riding at speed, I am assuming the thermostat is either bad or going bad. Another issue I have been having is the engine seems to be running rich, the exhaust pops a lot and my fuel consumption is rather high. I messed with the power commander and downloaded the coyze map which seems to be pretty popular but that did not fix the issues whatsoever. Anything would be appreciated, Thanks!

Have you checked for any air leaks along the intake tracts, perished rubbers etc, maybe the brain is over fuelling to compensate ?

Just a thought

Cheers... 

• Member Contributer

Vacuum leaks.

Measure vacuum at FPR and MAP sensor. These two areas are critical to proper AFR. If there are leaks hear, you'll run rich.

Also check O2-sensor output waveforms.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have had an 02 Vtec for a long time, my experience is that the temperature does vary, and the bikes run hot. I am guessing that you mean 180F, I am used to degC so that is 82.5C which seems about ok for riding at speed in say 50 to 70 F temperatures.  If it is a hot day 70 to 90F and the bike is in slow traffic then expect to see some high temperatures 212F and higher, I remember seeing around 120C  so 20deg over boiling in very hot weather 38C and slow traffic. I never had any problems with the bike overheating and temperature soon dropped to normal once on the move..  However the bike is very hot to be on in those conditions as you are basically sitting astride the rear 2 cylinders and the side radiators are like having 2 fan heaters blowing on you. If you get temperatures of 70C or less in normal conditions then the thermostat is probably duff.. hope that helps. 

• Member Contributer

After nearly 20 years, it would be no surprise if the thermostat is not working properly.  A new one would be good maintenance.  While in there,  figure on also replacing the water neck o-rings on the heads and mite also have the injectors cleaned.   

Archived