5th gen headlight bulbs, eBay warning

Bubba5000

So, after going through learning the hard way that the 5th gen bulbs are not standard H4s, and deciding I’d Rather not snip the tabs, I ordered a pair from EBay seller “sledpartsguy”. He listed them by the exact Honda parts number referenced in the factory OEM parts catalog. Cost about $4 each. So, today they show up in the mail, and as I’m sure you may have already guessed, they are simply Chinese H4 bulbs with standard H4 tabs that I had to snip before they would fit. Sure, they were even cheaper than Sylvania basic ones at O’Reilley’s, but wow. Just wow. So, I guess I’m just gonna snip from now on. No way am I gonna pay $25 a bulb for Genuine Honda, but it sucks getting blatantly lied to. Freakin’ EBay. 

• Member Contributer

I've been going through the same headlight upgrade issues with a third generation. Like you, I'm trying not to spend much and trying to modify regular H4s. Both VFROz and Terry (user names) have given me some information on using LED headlights. They're getting cheaper all the time. I was trying to insert the quotes from those guys but can't figure out how to do that so I'm just cutting and pasting for you.

VFROz wrote:

I've bought these:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nighteye-72W-9000LM-H4-HB2-LED-Headlight-Kit-Hi-Lo-Beam-Globe-Bulbs-6500K-White/252920366279?epid=6026513713&hash=item3ae33a84c7:g:noAAAOSwwvtb08nX&frcectupt=true

And I'm very happy with them.

They dont shine the light forwards, but back towards the reflector.

They also have a cooling fan and fit the 5G.

Light output is high, and low beam cut off is the same as stock bulbs.

High beams are much much better.

I do wish they wern't so white, I prefer around 4000K which is still white but I can't seem to find them.

(His LEDs are also on EBay in the USA)

And Terry wrote:

I have been running LED's in place of H4 halogens for a few years, starting with the Cyclops and now just using any generic Chinese bulb. I have used fan-cooled and no-fan, one key difference is the no-fan bulbs will run just the high or just the low emitters, the fan-cooled units will keep low on all the time and add high when you select high beam; so you keep good near illumination plus add the long distance light. Regarding heat, the LED's are generally consuming a fraction of the power of a halogen and converting more of that into light, so my view is they will always run cooler than halogen. I've also experienced using a 100W halogen bulb and that had enough heat to melt the plug connector on the back...

Provided you get LEDs in which the position of the high and low emitters mimics that of the the halogens, you will get near-enough the same beam spread.  And you also need to make sure you have a low beam cut-off shield which confusingly sits in front and below  the low beam emitter, so you don't dazzle others. There are "H4" bulbs that have an H4 base but nothing remotely close to the correct configuration.

I haven't tried the LEDs yet, but I'm pretty sure I will in the near future. Good luck. Let us know what you come up with in the end.

Archived