Forgetting to turn off the ignition

KRW

Honda VFR1200 XD 2013
I constantly keep forgetting to turn off the igninion which leaves the lights on which ultimately empties the battery. I've done this twice this summer, and just barely managed to recharge the battery. Not by my normal charger. I had to take the battery to a car-eletricity shop where the had a big charger that managed to kick the battery going.

I know that I have to change routine when finishing my ride, bur it seems impossible.

I would like to have a buzzer connected to a clevere wire (oil lamp wiring??) which would give a sound when i leave the ignition on after stopping the engine. But i cannot fins a decent wiring scheme, and without the wiring I can't find the correct wire to attach the buzzer to.

Is there maybe an after-market solution for this? Has this been done by any of you guys? Any hints or maybe a drawing on how this should be done the easiers way? Maybe there is an easier way? Monitor the charging? Any help, hint or link would be appreciated!

Bst regards, and thanks in advance

R

• Member Contributer

Hi KRW.

Ah yes, the classic Bad habit of using the Kill Switch (For Emergency use Only) to stop the engine, leaves the headlights burning.

Wonder if it's worth just placing some bright PVC tape over the switch as a type of  reminder NOT to use it. In an emergency situation you could easily override the tape.

Old habits die hard! 

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

I've always felt using the kill switch on a regular basis was a bad idea, mainly for this reason. It's a bad habit well worth forcing yourself to stop doing. The tape

idea may help you put a stop to a very bad habit.

I suppose you could wire a relay into the kill switch circuit that would open when the kill switch is not being used and activate when the kill switch is engaged.

A fair bit of work IMO.

• Member Contributer

So do you (OP) leave the key in the ignition when you walk away from the bike?

• Member Contributer

I do believe there are some battery monitoring systems that will alarm if the voltage falls below a certain number. Perhaps a

"smart meter" that will alert you with an email or some such. Here's one https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/bmv-712-smart ,

maybe the price would encourage you to use the key and not the kill switch. 🙂

• Member Contributer

KRW.

Looking at the Wiring Diagram you could wire in a Lo Beam relay, controlled by the Kill Switch. Note - The VFR1200 Headlight Relay is purely to operate Hi Beam, Lo Beam is powered through the Starter Switch and Ignition Switch via the 20amp  headlight fuse.

If you look at the wiring diagram, you could pick up the Black wire from the Kill Switch (the same wire goes to the Engine Stop Relay, it might be easier to grab the Black wire at this point) to feed a relay coil, the other side of the coil goes to a Ground. The Relay Contacts need to interrupt the Bu/W wire near the Lo Beam bulb.

Even easier would be to use the DLC 4P Connector to drive the relay coil, the BL/W (12v) and Green (ground) wires could feed the relay coil.

Activating the Kill Switch would then kill power to the relay removing 12v power to your Lo Beam.

Best thing is to re-train yourself, or amputate your right thumb!:ohmy: - only joking.

Hope this makes sense!:beer:

Cheers.

Archived