When happiness brings sadness...

Skids

• Member Contributer

I'm happy because this morning, my 6th Gen passed its annual MoT test (UK Ministry of Transport annual roadworthy test for bikes older than 3 years). :cheerleader:

I'm sad because this means there nothing now stopping me from putting her up for sale. :sad:

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Skids said:

I'm sad because this means there nothing now stopping me from putting her up for sale. :sad:

Don't do it! or "You'll be sorry!" (Although you seem to have quite a quiver so perhaps it won't be so bad.)

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

Don't do it! or "You'll be sorry!" (Although you seem to have quite a quiver so perhaps it won't be so bad.)

I know. I always tell friends "don't sell" but as you say, I have 2 other VFRs and this will not get ridden.

Despite it being a well sorted machine, 72k miles will put a lot of people off so I will have to set the price accordingly. Such a shame. :sad:

Damn, at that price I'm tempted to pick it up myself. Except I sold my VTECker in Spain precisely due to back problems and it had lowered pegs. I miss having a bike and the good weather season is on the doorstep... alas today, as it is most days, my back is giving me hell... and I don't even ride anymore. Curses and general disgruntled mumblings!!

• Member Contributer
On 4/30/2017 at 10:01 AM, Auspanglish said:

Damn, at that price I'm tempted to pick it up myself. Except I sold my VTECker in Spain precisely due to back problems and it had lowered pegs. I miss having a bike and the good weather season is on the doorstep... alas today, as it is most days, my back is giving me hell... and I don't even ride anymore. Curses and general disgruntled mumblings!!

I feel for you A. A bad back fills ones life with:

Curses and general disgruntled mumblings!!

•  

• Member Contributer
On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 4:01 PM, Auspanglish said:

Only a small project to fit bar risers. :wink:

Yeah but I'm not even sure I can ride anymore without it being detrimental. I now have 3 bad Cervical discs, 2 protrusions and 1 hernia (prolapsed, ruptured), 4 bad Thoracic ones, 1 massively prolapsed, another mildly and 2 protrusions, then I have 3 bad Lumbar discs, the lowest L5-S1, completely obliterated and operated on twice, the L4 vertebra itself has cracked in two and the two discs above are protruded, one borderline prolapsed. Surgeons don't want to know me and when they do they talk about massive fixation arthrodesis with metal clamps and rods... which would just rupture the remaining healthy discs as they take on the extra load.

I'm pretty much fudged and I'm only 45. Always led an extremely active life until mid thirties when the first disc ruptured just getting a plate out of the dishwasher.

There was a time riding actually made my back feel better. That and walking. Probably as it helped keep muscular tone in essential areas but a few bad falls and an accident at work where a pallet of modular wooden furniture fell on me... I tried to keep up the swimming but even that is proving impossible to keep up. The discs just kept rupturing in like a domino effect. Then we discovered the split vertebra... I couldn't walk, lie, down, stand, sit, I was in excrutiating pain for two months, January last year, no comfortable posture at all. Then suddenly woke up one morning and that was (virtually) gone. Just residual pain and the regular old aches and pains and muscle contractions. They figured the two split parts must have become disalligned causing the pain and suddenly gone back into place.

The thoracic area is giving me hell the last few weeks.

I don't know that I should buy a bike but I miss getting around and discovering places with such ease and sheer pleasure.

My wife and my back would surely wonder what the feck I think I'm doing.

• Member Contributer

Wow. And you're only 45. I'm 67 and only have L1 through L5 issues. And riding does help as long as I use my abs and not my weak lower back muscles. So I can empathize somewhat with your position.

If I were you I'd quit riding. As mentally painful as that is, imagine if you had any kind of "incident" while riding. (My back went out on a riding/camping trip; I was grounded - could not walk -for three days.) You could be ruined for life. Paralyzed even. As mentally painful as quitting may seem, spending half your life in a wheel chair would make quitting seem like a no-brainer.

Good luck; I'll be rooting tor you.

That's basically been my thinking. I just miss riding. I had to give up windsurfing and rock-climbing / abseiling earlier on because they were obviously too risky after the first prolapsed disc... but I stuck with motorcycling as it actually helped. Might have a niggle, go for a ride and Presto!! As I've worsened the Presto has disappeared and after the broken vertebra was discovered and I had been becoming more active at racetracks the incompatibility became obvious and I put the bike up for sale. I've fully given up on track days and weeks long adventure or high mileage rides, but occasionally hanker after something to commute on or short day trip on...

Cheesh

Archived