Gauge/info display refresh

Epyon007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATWoTmuxY2w

At about 1:55 the info display is what I'm talking about.  Has anyone around here gotten this done on a 5th gen?  It would be a nice addition to a pretty damn good setup as it is.  This has to have been talked about already.  I searched but didn't see much.

• Member Contributer

That's pretty nice. I had an ST1300 for several years and the display lighting was the weakest link on the bike. On 5th Gens we don't have soldered in LEDs like that, but incandescent bulbs in removable holders. So it's super easy to swap out for brighter LEDs. Blue (2) behind the LCD screen because there is already a blue filter between it and the light bulbs. White (3) behind the gauges because they light up multiple colors on the face. Any other lights need to be color matched to the display lens. Amber for turn signal, blue for high beam, green for neutral, etc. 

i want to say 194 size for the main display and 74 for the lower 3 (FI light will light up at half power with LED, so I left it incandescent)

• Member Contributer

This is easy to do on a 5th gen. I purchased lamps from superbrightleds.com and changed out gauge faces at the same time. Everything in now back lit red with white faces. Color match indicator lights instead of using white and buy the narrowest beam lights available. The amber lights I used for my turn signals tend to wash out in bright light but are perfect at night. Leave the FI light incandescent or it won't work properly.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, mine turned out great! I did it several years ago and I still love seeing the dash at night, it's very crisp. I recently put together a set of bulbs for a friend's '98 and it turned out much brighter. So much so that I can see the blue LCD screen back lighting in daylight. Mine looks fine in the day and have no trouble reading it, but the blue basically disappears outside during the day. I did have to upgrade my turn signal indicators after the initial install because they were too dim during the day. But now they are great!

194 Amber (2) For the Signal Indicators. They are in a sort of tunnel, so only need LEDs that are end firing.

194 Blue (2) For the LCD back lights. 360 degree firing LEDs are best for full coverage.

194 White (3) For the main gauges. 360 degree firing again for best light dispersement. 

74 Red (1) Mini LED for the Oil light. End firing LED

74 Blue (1) Mini LED for the High Beam Indicator. End Firing

74 Green (1) Mini LED for Neutral. End Firing

Use the vendor of your choice. I used to use VLEDs.com, but their prices seem to have jumped over the years so I switched to SuperBrightLEDs.com. 

Also, most of them come in pairs, so if you find a buddy to split it with you won't end up buying extras for the 3 and singles.

• Member Contributer
47 minutes ago, Epyon007 said:

Have you got any pics Kev?

Ok, so here's a few quick shots. I also converted my Y2K project with the new LEDs. Garage lights on, garage lights off. Then my older conversion on the '99; same conditions.

I've become so accustomed to the LEDs that riding the Y2K home the first evening in the dark was pretty disappointing. I also have LED headlights on the '99, so riding a fully incandescent VFR for the first time in years was not so impressive. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That definitely looks like it's much brighter!  I wouldn't mind my info display being white.  You visually got different results than the ST1300's in the video.  They seemed to have changed the display from Black on white to White on black...  I think I'll have a go a the white info display this winter, in between my tears of sorrow that is.  HEH

• Member Contributer

You can take apart the gauges and remove the LCD screen. There is a blue filter that can come out. I know I've read that it has been done, but I tried it on a spare and ruined it. 

Maybe you can find it if you search VFRD. I think that was about changing it to red. I don't think I'd want that much white light in my face at night. It's plenty visible during daylight even without back lighting. 

There was a guy who made new gauge faces for the 5th Gen, but he moved along and hasn't been seen on the forum in a while. 

• Member Contributer

Just use a white LED behind the LCD, it will still have a faint blue tinge, but mine is ace now with all white 5 point LED's installed.  5 point, being one on each side & one on the top !  The indicator lights at the bottom of the display can be updated with top light LED's too, makes them much brighter.

1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

Just use a white LED behind the LCD, it will still have a faint blue tinge, but mine is ace now with all white 5 point LED's installed.  5 point, being one on each side & one on the top !  The indicator lights at the bottom of the display can be updated with top light LED's too, makes them much brighter.

Did you use the same LED's for your display as the ones suggested above?  If not care to share a link to the ones you did use please?

Archived