RC36 Radiator Guard?

JZH

Question

• Member Contributer

I have to destroy or remove the OEM plastic radiator guard in order to clear my 54mm OD forks held in VFR1200 yokes.  Is there anything commercially available to replace it with?  Probably not anymore!  How about an aftermarket guard made for another bike with a similar size radiator?  Adapting something would probably give the nicest results, but I suppose I would be fine with making one from raw materials if necessary.  Ideas?

Cheers,

7 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

I couldn't find anything for the RC36 at all.  R&G in the UK sells "universal" sheets of metal mesh material (the same as they use for their custom radiator guards), but bulk material is also available on eBay for use replacing car grilles.  I decided that's the way I'd go.  But rather than simply put something in front of the radiator, I'm going to "mesh" the entire opening in the vee piece with stainless steel open mesh.  (Somehow!)  I can get a 36" x 14" piece of the stuff, which should be enough.  This is a lower priority than other stuff, so check back for progress in about 2020... :tongue:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Silver, unless I spray it I suppose, but that could look a bit crap if the paint starts to come off.  This is the mesh I'm talking about:

s-l1600.jpg

I want the openings to be small enough to catch stones, but not so small as to affect the air flow.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

It's not difficult on a 3rd gen.  After you take the middle fairings off, it just attaches to the top fairing with some plastic clips and some screws to the bottom fairing and fairing brackets.  I think the challenging bit will be attaching it to the vee piece, given that it wasn't designed to have anything attached to it...

Ciao,

Archived