Stator coil burnt

Alfanatic

I have a 2006 VTEC (without ABS)

I have had to have the stator coil rewound for the 4th time now. Nobody can tell me why the stator coil keeps burning out.

I've also noticed that the cover gets extremely hot within 2 to 3 minutes of strating the bike, to the extent that immense heat is radiated from that side of the motor.

Any ideas / recommendations would be welcome?

Sent from my SM-P601 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

What regulator/rectifier are you using?

If you are using the stock one, it would be a good opportunity to upgrade to a MOSFET type, and beef up the wiring a bit as maybe the regulator is bad. I would test it at least.

Also, I had issues with a rewound stator on my wife's VFR800. I bought a new OEM one and it worked great.

• Member Contributer

I would recommend the SH847.  The SH775 is technically specified for bikes that rev under 10,000 RPM and the SH847 is for bikes that rev over 10,000 RPM.

That being said, I have not heard of any failures of the SH775 related to being used on the VFR which only revs beyond the design spec by a couple of thousand RPM though.

I think many on here who are running the SH775 purchased before the SH847 was widely available as a replacement.

• Member Contributer

I'd personally suggest the FH020AA over either of the SH units.

As cheap as $35 US used on eBay; Search for used FZ-09 regulators.

• Member Contributer

Get the FH020AA and have your stator rewound at custom rewind, direct wire to battery with 30a breaker and you should be bulletproof.

Archived