What's Next for Expected Maintenance

Africord

• Member Contributer

Okay.  I know many of you are way ahead of me on the mileage use curve, and I expect some shots over the fact that my 2002 has ONLY 54,000 miles.  But I wanted to know what's next on the maintenance curve.  I've put off my suspension upgrades, twice, due to other needs.  Here's the saga of the last 30,000 miles:

New Battery, RR, Stator - Charging System good to go!
New CCTs

All recalls complete

I've also completed regular fork service, brake pad service, oil changes, tires, brake fluid, chains and sprockets on a normal schedule.

So 6th gen sages, what's next?

• Member Contributer

At 54000 miles I would definitely be replacing the shock and fork springs, but aside from that you maybe need to look at the cush drive rubbers in the back hub, the steering head bearings, and the bushings in the fork. The engine ought to be fine but the thermostat and coolant hoses may need to be replaced in the near future.

• Member Contributer

Sounds like you're right on top of things. Have you touched the air filter or spark plugs yet? Those are two of the consumables you didn't mention.

If your forks have been serviced recently, the best bang for your buck would be the shock. At 54,000 miles, it's certainly well past its prime and a replacement would make all the difference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Coolant has been flushed. Air filter is a K&N and was serviced recently. I'll try to get the forks and shocks addressed this winter.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Archived