Windshield spoiler

Blake

I'm finding the wind noise to be pretty loud on my 2014 even with ear plugs. Ugh. Does anyone have experience with the clip on windshield spoilers? I don't mind the wind buffeting it's just the noise that's too loud. I must be right in the dirty air coming off the stock screen. 

• Member Contributer

Maybe just a noisy lid as it's different if I use a different lid .   I find noise varies depending on whether I have stopped and removed lid,plugs then put them back on. I also think noise may originate from mirrors but that is my theory.  

Just this weekend I installed and tried out the MRA touring clip-on on top of the Puig sport screen.  It's adds a good 4 inches to the windshield height, which is great when on the highway at 70+.

However, I did notice that there was a huge decrease when I crouched down just 2-3 inches.  This leads me to believe getting a touring screen (the Givi or Puig) along with the MRA touring clip-on would reach nirvana because they are two inches taller.  I might try that next - but I only care about maximum wind protection when I go on long highway rides at 75+ mph - which is only a couple times a year.

I'm 5 ft 11 in tall with the seat height set in the high position.

It's kind of a crap shoot isn't it?  You'll probably just have to find what works for you.  I bought a screen for a cruiser I had, and my head vibrated so bad above 60 or so that it was unbearable in any position I set it--my contact lenses seemed liked they were jittering..lol.  People suggested new helmet, new mirrors, lowers, taller / shorter screen, and I can't remember what other BS...  I tired a couple things, but finally came to the realization that I was wasting riding time / money and just ebayed the screen.  Now, I won't buy any bike with a screen without a test ride, and I won't buy any screen for a bike unless I can return it no question or expense.

Fortunately, the stock screen on the 8th gen works great AFAIC, and my USELESS advice to you is that the stock screen and an HJC RPHA ST helmet are key ;-) since that is the combo that works for ME.  See what I am saying?

16 hours ago, RC79Scott said:

It's kind of a crap shoot isn't it?  You'll probably just have to find what works for you.  I bought a screen for a cruiser I had, and my head vibrated so bad above 60 or so that it was unbearable in any position I set it--my contact lenses seemed liked they were jittering..lol.  People suggested new helmet, new mirrors, lowers, taller / shorter screen, and I can't remember what other BS...  I tired a couple things, but finally came to the realization that I was wasting riding time / money and just ebayed the screen.  Now, I won't buy any bike with a screen without a test ride, and I won't buy any screen for a bike unless I can return it no question or expense.

Fortunately, the stock screen on the 8th gen works great AFAIC, and my USELESS advice to you is that the stock screen and an HJC RPHA ST helmet are key ;-) since that is the combo that works for ME.  See what I am saying?

It most certainly is a crap shoot. Since it was a noise issue I decided to change ear plugs first. While doing that I installed an Sena Bluetooth intercom. I installed the speakers close to my ears and with the new ear plugs the wind noise is much reduced. Some wind buffeting still but not too bad. I'm going to ride like this for a bit before I buy a spoiler or IF I buy one. I have a Shoei RF1200 which is supposed to be resonably quiet. I guess you have to keep trying stuff until you find a reasonable solution. It's a motorcycle after all not a luxury car. 

Archived