6th Gen Rearsets

Lint

I know it's been done. I have read the thread about it, but I am unsure on what the "cushion" is that is mentioned. The thread never really talk specifically about it, or if it does, I've missed it. I really need new footpegs on my bike, as the left side is damaged and the foot peg sags down and forward. Really uncomfortable. I can get 6th Gen footpeg brackets for a good price, but what else do I need? Someone mentioned milling a bolt head or a nut down about 8mm or something, so I'd like clarification on that too.

Thank in advance.

If someone could point me to the thread again, that would help too, I can't find it.

• Member Contributer

I don't think I've ever seen such a thread, but I've seen threads where the swap has been mentioned by those who have done it.  This is the 6th gen "rear cushion" that (allegedly) also fits the 5th gen:

VTEC Rear Suspension Mount-1.jpg

VTEC Rear Suspension Mount-2.jpg

VTEC Rear Suspension Mount-3.jpg

And this is what you can mount with it (along with bog-standard VTEC hangers, of course):

RC46 VTEC Sato Rearsets-1.jpg

RC46 VTEC Sato Rearsets-2.jpg

The top pics are of the 6th gen part I recently purchased on US eBay, the bottom pics from an old thread here.  AFAIK, Sato Racing makes the only VFR800-compatible rearsets, and they only fit the 6th gen.  (They cost $545 direct from Sato Racing in California--black silver or gold.)

As the rear suspension linkage and swing arm also mount to this piece, I would think that some additional 6th gen parts would likely be required in order to fit this to a 5th gen.  I haven't gone through the parts microfiche to check, but I will do once I get my hands on the part.  (I'm assuming the 5th gen swing arm can still be used, as nobody has ever said that needed to be swapped!)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Check with CornerCarver, he was the one that mentined doing this in the Tyga rear sets thread. I bought the Cush but never went beyond that. Too many other things got in the way. I believe that you also need the swingarm pivot and bushings, but don't remember what was entailed in the actual swap. 

Archived