Bought a new bike

So my son recently expressed an interest in learning to ride. He's 21 years old and always has been the most sober, serious, level headed kid I've ever known, since he learned to speak. An adult trapped in a child's body I always thought.

Anyhow, we found this beautiful 2007 Ninja 500R and it's in great shape. 10,000 km, new Michelin Pilot Activ tires, riser blocks for the handlebars, and a stage 1 jet kit. Appears to never have been dropped, and the other side looks as good as this one.

I fitted a new AGM battery, as the old one was weak, and have gotten a set of delrin mirror extenders, which were quite necessary.

We've had our first parking lot session, and he didn't even stall it. A few more training sessions in the parking lot to cover the basics of braking, progressively nearing lockup, independent and combined braking, etc, and we will be heading out on some empty roads for more instruction.

The ultimate goal is a road trip, perhaps next year after he builds his skills and confidence, and oh yeah, that pesky license thing.

IMG_0919.JPG

• Member Contributer

Beautiful find there!  That bike looks like it would be a barrel of monkeys.  

• Member Contributer

A perfect first bike.

Have fun with your boy.

Mine, who is 14, is starting to look at my project 3rd gen funny - As if I was building it for him...  :comp13:

Nice!  Great bike to start on IMO and it looks excellent, too.  And I bet there are many mods available for it should he get the bug!  :wink:

Archived