New owner with some questions

Auron

Finally, after lurking here for almost six years I bought me a 2013 VFR1200. Problem is it's being shipped and I won't see it for several weeks but I have some questions for when it gets here.

1) Can I use a magnetic bag?

2) I'm going to buy a second salvaged seat and custom build it for my butt, the salvaged seat is missing the hook latch though.  Is the latch on the seat removable from the underside or do you have to remove the foam from my new seat to replace the latch?

3) When mounting the Honda Genuine 12V, where does it mount and is it pre-wired? How difficult is it to wire in a Marine one?

4) Can the factory heated grip switch rotate? I like to have a clean surface between the inside of my thumb and inside edge of the grip. It appears as the switch will be in the way.

Thanks guys!  

there's the 12v socket location under the seat....there are marks on the fender to show where to drill....the wiring harness has to be purchased separately, it connects under the left fairing....correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think you can use the 12v socket and the heated grips together....they use the same connection ....

Honda_VFR1200F_z_ELECTRICAL_SOCKET.jpg

• Member Contributer

Try the Givi tank bags with the fuel cap mount rings...I love both of mine.

The bag never touches the tank and you don't have to worry about the magnets attaching something abrasive while off the tank and messing up the metallic paint while on the bike.

The steel fuel tank only has the center strip exposed, so your magnetic tank bag's side wings may or may not work.  If the tank bag is small enough, just the front and rear magnets will hold it down just fine.

I use the Cortech Dryver tank bag system on the VFR1200.  The tank ring doesn't look too bad by itself, and the bag clicks on and off very easily.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Auron said:

Locking tankbag pics are welcome, the thing I like about magnetic bags is you can move them closer or further away from you.

And you can vary where the bottom of the tank bag attaches by adjusting the bottom bracket on the tank bag (at least on the Givi).

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, CornerCarver said:

And you can vary where the bottom of the tank bag attaches by adjusting the bottom bracket on the tank bag (at least on the Givi).

The Cortech Dryver system gives you a range of fore-aft adjustment too.  I will try to remember to take some pics of mine and post up here.

10 hours ago, Auron said:

Used, from a seller in NC so I'm having it shipped

If you rotate that grip will it just interfere with your index finger instead of your thumb?

Is your a DCT?  I don't see how it would interfere, the button for the grip warmers is very small.  Never been an issue.  

16 hours ago, Auron said:

Used, from a seller in NC so I'm having it shipped

If you rotate that grip will it just interfere with your index finger instead of your thumb?

Yes it will, it rotates as one piece.

On May 11, 2016 at 8:59 PM, lshark said:

there's the 12v socket location under the seat....there are marks on the fender to show where to drill....the wiring harness has to be purchased separately, it connects under the left fairing....correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think you can use the 12v socket and the heated grips together....they use the same connection ....

Honda_VFR1200F_z_ELECTRICAL_SOCKET.jpg

Your correct it does use the same connector, I bet you could splice into it though.

I chose  the Bags Connection "City" tank bag with tank ring mounting. Perfect! My 2013 did not have factory heated grips. The after market heated grips work well and do not interfere with the under seat accessory plug. I suggest you get some miles on the stock seat before investing in something "custom".  Try compression chamois shorts for a little sore butt deference on longer rides. MarkinReno

IMAG1062.jpg

IMAG1074.jpg

1 hour ago, Auron said:

I like your wind deflector too, looks to me like the only thing available that adds wind protection to your shoulder area. Do you notice that?

I chose  the Bags Connection "City" tank bag with tank ring mounting. Perfect! My 2013 did not have factory heated grips. The after market heated grips work well and do not interfere with the under seat accessory plug. I suggest you get some miles on the stock seat before investing in something "custom".  Try compression chamois shorts for a little sore butt deference on longer rides. MarkinReno

Aaron,

I have no real means of comparison as it came with the bike. I do get some moderate eyeball rattle in some situations. The mount is somewhat complicated so I haven't removed it.

^ That does help, seem more complicated than I thought it would be though.

I always use a clear 3M protective kit on my tanks so I'm not worried about magnets. Couldn't I stick some magnets to the underside of the plastic for a tankbag?

• Member Contributer
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:59 AM, lshark said:

Not sure if I understand this correctly but I can assure you, you can use the heated grips & the 12v socket at the same time. I have both fitted to mine.

I might have misunderstood the question though.

+1 on the Givi Tanklok bags.

I'm now concerned that the grip-mounted controller for the FUSAR I've bought will not fit because of the heated grips controller.

5 hours ago, Skids said:

Not sure if I understand this correctly but I can assure you, you can use the heated grips & the 12v socket at the same time. I have both fitted to mine.

I might have misunderstood the question though.

+1 on the Givi Tanklok bags.

I'm now concerned that the grip-mounted controller for the FUSAR I've bought will not fit because of the heated grips controller.

You are understanding correctly, maybe the UK bikes have a different set up. Both of these accessories plug into same connector per the instructions of the accessory so this is the problem. Did you pick up power from another source on the bike, if not how did you hook both up to the same spot. Look at my down load a few posts up on the headed grips connection. The 12v accessory socket says to use the same connector. I think Honda's website even says you can't use both at the same time, if I'm not mistaken. Wouldn't be the first time i was wrong though:)

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, mikep said:

You are understanding correctly, maybe the UK bikes have a different set up. Both of these accessories plug into same connector per the instructions of the accessory so this is the problem. Did you pick up power from another source on the bike, if not how did you hook both up to the same spot. Look at my down load a few posts up on the headed grips connection. The 12v accessory socket says to use the same connector. I think Honda's website even says you can't use both at the same time, if I'm not mistaken. Wouldn't be the first time i was wrong though:)

Dealer fitted so I've no idea and not had occasion to look. I have used both at the same time so it clearly works but you have me worried now.

Archived