Brake Line Through The Swing Arm - 5Th Gen

JZH

Question

• Member Contributer

I've seen the threads about Seb's doing this on a 6th gen, but some of the pics are missing. I'm mainly interested in how the entry and exit points have been done. The swing arm casting is very thick, so the use of conventional grommets is not going to be possible, but I don't know if de-burring and extra layer(s) of heat shrink would be sufficient. Any thoughts on that?

Also the front exit point: I'm assuming the rectangular can opening be used, but I haven't seen any pics confirming this. I would also de-burr the opening and add some extra heat-shrink to the brake line.

post-362-0-40771900-1459668082.jpg

(This is my spare swing arm from eBay. The brakes will be de-linked, so I only need one line, which I can make myself. I have not yet measured the length of line necessary--this is just an extra piece of -03.)

Cheers,

7 answers to this question

I drilled an oversize hole, also angled it a bit, and added a couple layers of heat shrink. I also used a grommet, it was an odd size, don't remember where it came from.

On my blue streetfighter, I ordered a custom line from Core Moto and added an extra grommet, which I then cut off the line and used for the exit hole.

I must encourage you to install the swingarm and fit the line with the bike mostly assembled. You can use the front hole as you pictured, but you'll need to make sure it clears the shock and rear exhaust pipes.

• Member Contributer

Thanks. That reminds me of where I've seen big (long) rubber grommets: the brake line kits I ordered for my RS250 had them. Maybe even too long, but that's better than too short! (The VFR400R NC24, btw, has a "factory" brakeline through the swing arm, but that was done using rubber brake lines, so the grommets would certainly be too big for a single stainess line.)

There will be a build thread...soon! :cool:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Another option would be to use an AN-3 bulkhead fitting and a pair of AN-3 hose ends. Definitely more expensive to do it that way, though!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

This is what I did.

The line is plastic coated, braided stainless with a Teflon core. The plastic coating is smoked and gives the braided weave a nice carbon look. Two, 30 degree banjo's and some new crush washers.
DSC03443.JPG?psid=1

Time to line up the hose. I didn't want to drill straight in and have the line make a bend towards the front so I drilled at an angle that was easy on the hose. This looks like a good spot.
DSC03444.JPG?psid=1

I wanted the smallest hole possible while still allowing some room for an abrasion buffer. The hole was only slightly larger than the hose. I filed the top and bottom opening with a small curved file till it was very smooth and rounded. I then filled the hole with black silicone and trimmed a rubber grommet to fit in at an angle. I tucked it all in and when it set up it was solid and with the silicone, rubber grommet, plastic coating and stainless braiding, I'm very confident there will be no rubbing issues at this spot. I found a grommet from something else in the garage that worked perfectly to hold the line in the caliper arm.
DSC03447.JPG?psid=1

The hose will exit out the left side opening in the pivot area. Just for extra security, I slid a piece of clear tubing over the hose to protect it inside the arm,
DSC03445.JPG?psid=1

To keep the end of the hose steady in the opening, I simply sprayed in some expanding foam.
All goobed up.
DSC03449.JPG?psid=1

Trimmed off flush. I'll probably seal the foam with something to keep it from crumbling. Maybe over kill but...
DSC03450.JPG?psid=1

• Member Contributer

Nice work, there. Which bike donated that caliper and bracket, btw?

Cheers,

• Member Contributer

Nice work, there. Which bike donated that caliper and bracket, btw?

Cheers,

Hawk Gt iirc.

Archived