Changing Fork Oil.

thecat

Hiya grum. It's got 9000 km on it now, probably 500 km or so full throttle on the track including a wheelie or two, and it's been stressed by Dave moss how important it is fresh fork oil is to sustain consistent performance. He says fork oil gets as hard a workout as engine oil as the springs do rub on the fork insides and debris builds up. One would change engine oil after run in, so why not fork oil? I would change it at 10000km anyway so thought I would ask the question. It's up to each individual when they do it but I like my bikes to have as fresh fluids as reasonable. Cheers.

• Member Contributer

No need to change every 5kmiles I severely doubt if you would notice any difference in performance.

506cm+/- 2.5cm3

fluid level 108mm

I am considering changing fork oil on my eighth gen. Has anyone else done it? What weight oil and how much air gap to leave? Thanks in advance.

My 06 vfr fork oil was coal black and sludging at 5,000 miles, second change about 15,000 miles, much better, afterwards only do it 30,000 miles or more.

Some guys had better looking oil than I did at higher mileage. Really Ive never seen as bad of oil in any of my dirt bikes compared to the intial change of vfr oil. The forks on the VFR are just adequate size wise.

so maybe your oil looks real bad and maybe it doesn't, generally street bike forks arent as beefy as offroad bikes.

No need to change every 5kmiles I severely doubt if you would notice any difference in performance.506cm+/- 2.5cm3fluid level 108mm

O.K. Pussy Cat. Here ya go. As per fink's info

Hi fink and grum

Thanks muchly guys.

I tend to subscribe to the school of thought that the only thing between you and the contact patches are the front and rear suspension. So keep the suspensions in optimal condition. Cheers

No need to change every 5kmiles I severely doubt if you would notice any difference in performance.

506cm+/- 2.5cm3

fluid level 108mm

O.K. Pussy Cat. Here ya go. As per fink's info

Pics above taken from Dave moss' Facebook page. Fork oil change after his Kawasaki did a 5000km tour of nz earlier this year

Oil was changed when he bought the bike. Plenty of debris. Says fork will need full strip and clean when he returns end of year.

post-32068-0-70579900-1459021359.jpeg

post-32068-0-28480800-1459021382.jpeg

Archived