03 Vfr Starter Acting Like Ignition

ThePonz

I ride a 2003 Viffer with about 14k miles on it. I’ve had it on a battery tender over the winter just to keep up with the charge and whatnot. I hooked in one of the quick connectors to the battery on my bike and plugged it into the tender. So when I go to try and start the bike up today, when I hit the key, there’s a bad buzzing noise behind the instrument cluster, then it seemed like the bike reset itself because all the lights went off and the clock reset. Now when I hit the key, only the backlights come on of the display, no actual display other than the time shows, no FI light, no Neutral light, nothing. That’s when something weird happens, when I hit the starter button to try and crank the bike, everything lights up and it acts like it normally would when you turn on the key. I feel like I did something terribly wrong and just fried something.

How old is the battery? What is the battery voltage, particularly after a day of not being connected to the charger? A dead battery can result in strange events. Secondly I wonder if the starter button was stuck half way in from when you put it away. I am not exactly sure what that would do, but maybe if it was stuck then you pushed it in and it released to normal position which juiced the circuit as it should. You could disconnect the battery and play with the starter switch to see if it has become sticky.

Can you verify the polarity of the charger connection? Those things are normally smart and would do no harm, but a reverse connection would explain a dead battery.

• Member Contributer

I ride a 2003 Viffer with about 14k miles on it. Ive had it on a battery tender over the winter just to keep up with the charge and whatnot. I hooked in one of the quick connectors to the battery on my bike and plugged it into the tender. So when I go to try and start the bike up today, when I hit the key, theres a bad buzzing noise behind the instrument cluster, then it seemed like the bike reset itself because all the lights went off and the clock reset. Now when I hit the key, only the backlights come on of the display, no actual display other than the time shows, no FI light, no Neutral light, nothing. Thats when something weird happens, when I hit the starter button to try and crank the bike, everything lights up and it acts like it normally would when you turn on the key. I feel like I did something terribly wrong and just fried something.

Hi Ponz.

Reckon the first thing to establish is the health of the battery, a battery with low capacity can cause strange things to happen. Are you sure BOTH battery terminals are tight after installing your battery tender leads? Suspect what you heard as buzzing behind the instrument cluster will be the Engine Stop Relay and/or the Fuel Cut Relay chattering with minimal voltage. Have you disturbed any earth points or any other part of your wiring? Have a good look at the main 30amp fuse off the battery for any signs of heat stress in the fuse holder or wiring.

Further to what Knight suggested a stuck or not fully returning to normal position Starter Switch can cause your headlights not to illuminate in the normal low beam state i.e. bike will start but no headlights. I have had this fault.

Cheers.

Grum

Archived