Bay Area Highways And Cool Roads

lazyeye

• Member Contributer

Greetings,

In July my Dad and I are making a trip down to Laguna Seca. I'm looking for some route suggestions. We're riding down through Lassen, hitting Hwy 36, then staying in Santa Rosa. We have one full day to get from Santa Rosa to Salinas with obligatory photo-op at the Golden Gate Bridge.

I was thinking about going over the bridge, ending up on the I-280, then running over the CA-84, stopping at Alice's Restaurant (my dad is an old hippy and there's something significant about Alice's apparently), then cruising down 101 (boring).

Saturday and Sunday while I go to the WSBK races at Laguna Seca Dad is going to tour the area.

So I'm looking for two things:

-Route suggestions for interesting/cool/not stuck in traffic routes from Santa Rosa to Salinas

-Route suggestions starting and ending in Salinas for my Dad.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

Santa Rosa to Salinas: 200 miles

Take SR-12 / Bodega Hwy west past Sebastopol till it connects with Hwy 1, then turn south past Tomales, Point Reyes, and Stinson Beach, rejoining US101 about 4 miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Speaking of the bridge, take US-101 exit 442 and go up the hill for some great views of the GG bridge and San Francisco across the bay.

South of the bridge take Hwy 1 / 19th Ave through San Francisco to I-280, then take exit 478 to Pacifica on Hwy 1. At Half Moon Bay take SR-92 5 miles east then south on SR-35 south to Alice’s. From there, take SR-9 south to Santa Cruz. From there, a busy Hwy 1takes you the last 40 miles to Salinas.

I love the countryside west of US-101 and along Tamales Bay, and who doesn’t love the Golden Gate. Past Pacifica, Hwy 1 is usually pretty quiet, though SR-95 might be busy. SR-35 climbs pop into a dark forest, SR-9 opens up taking you along a ridge with views at times inland towards San Francisco Bay, then moments later west towards the Pacific Ocean.

For your dad:

Option 1: 160 miles

Take US-101, SR-156, and Union Rd., east towards Hollister, and then SR-25 south. Turn west on G13 to King City, north on US-101 to Greenfield, then onto G16 west/north past Carmel Valley. A short hop on G20 gets him to SR-68 and back to Salinas.

The first leg to Hollister isn’t much, but a few miles down SR-25 is a fantastic twisty 2-lane ride through the rural countryside. And G16 is pretty good as well, though not as flowing.

Option 2: 215 miles

At King City take G14 south to Jolon, then Nacimiento-Fergusson road through Hunter Ligett military reservation west to the Pacific Coast highway. Then north through Big Sur towards Carmel, but take G16 east then G20 north to SR-68 and on to Salinas.

• Member Contributer

Lorne has some good suggestions. Just ordered my WSBK tickets, see you there in July!

Alice's is great--you will see some very cool two- and four-wheeled vehicles. But I think the Alice's your dad remembers was in western Massachusetts not far from where I grew up. Google Arlo Guthrie.

Archived