Injectors And Connectors

BiKenG

It is apparent that Honda used different injectors in '98-'01, '02-'05 and '06->. The first type were single hole, but multi-hole injectors were introduced later, however I don't know whether that was in '02 or not till the '06. Also the electrical connector on the '06-> is not the same as in '98-'01, but again, I don't if this change was in '02 or not till the '06.

So, first of all, can anyone confirm when these changes were introduced and what are the actual connectors used? A decent picture of injector connectors from 5th Gen and 6th Gens would otherwise be really useful in helping me identify the actual connector types.

• Member Contributer

The '06 - '09 VFR800 injectors are the same as the '04 - '07 CBR1000RR, both primary and secondary (16450-MEL-003). I thought all the injector connectors were the same... I can't confirm on the early 6th gens.

• Member Contributer

From '98-'01, Honda uses the same fuel injector part number (06164-PCA-000) for the VFR, the CR-V, and one of their outboard boat motors (BF-130).
From the look of the connector of 3dcycle's post, the connector is the same.

gallery_3278_1525_212285.jpg

gallery_3278_1525_20386.jpg

Yes, from '02 - '05, the VFR used 16450-MCW-004 and since then 16450-MEL-003, same as CBR1000RR4-7 (which in '08 changed to 16450-MFL-003).

But from above we know that they switched to 12 hole injectors for the first V-Tec in '02.

However, rangerscott who fitted '07 Throttle Bodies on his 5th Gen found the injector connectors were not the same. but when was that change?

The pictures above show that the PCA type connector is not the same as the MCW and fact that it has a different first section of the part number, I would guess that the PCA are the odd ones out and from '02 they all use the same electrical connector. But cannot be sure until we see an MEL or MFL.

Anyone got one of those?

I have established that the early RVT1000 (SP-1) uses the same (wider) connector as VFR800 '98-'01

The later RVT1000 (SP-2) uses the same connector as the VFR800 '02-'05 and VFR1200 and hence CBR1000RR8->

I would assume from this that the VFR800 '06-> and CBR1000RR4-7 also use that same latter connector.

Well I think that's useful to know. :smile:

• Member Contributer

Here's a picture of 2009 fuel injector (16450-MEL-003) connections for my 5th gen track bike... they look similar to the MCW but don't look the same as the PCA injectors above

post-19432-0-82692800-1457368375.jpg

They seem to be the same std. connector Honda use on most of the later bikes, although the actual injector part seems to vary in colour. Not sure what that means. Different impedance injectors maybe?

• Member Contributer

They seem to be the same std. connector Honda use on most of the later bikes, although the actual injector part seems to vary in colour. Not sure what that means. Different impedance injectors maybe?

I wondered about that too. On the throttle body set I have the primary and secondary injectors on the CBR1k 04 - 07 are the same part number but different colors; black primary, brown secondary... now I'm second guessing myself, I'll dig them out and confirm which is which. They are definitely two different colors; maybe it is supplier related?

You got me there. If the part numbers are the same they're the same part.

Just checked and they are not the same part number. The upper ones are 16460-MEL-D21 and the lower ones are 16450-MEL-003, the latter being twice the price. In which case the different colours are not surprising.

• Member Contributer

You got me there. If the part numbers are the same they're the same part.

Just checked and they are not the same part number. The upper ones are 16460-MEL-D21 and the lower ones are 16450-MEL-003, the latter being twice the price. In which case the different colours are not surprising.

What year did you look up? When I did the parts list check they had the primary and secondary injectors listed as the same part #.

Primary injector:

post-19432-0-06301300-1457377344.jpg

Secondary Injector:

post-19432-0-39274100-1457377151.jpg

'06 I think, but I'm pretty sure all the same from '04 - '07.

I was checking for a UK bike, but I can't imagine they would use different injectors in different markets.

• Member Contributer

'06 I think, but I'm pretty sure all the same from '04 - '07.

I was checking for a UK bike, but I can't imagine they would use different injectors in different markets.

check my updated post above with parts list for 2005 CBR1000RR

Just checked again and RR4 and RR5 bikes used the same injectors, but on the RR6 and RR7 the upper injector changed to one half the price. WTF???

In '08 they changed to the MFL injector for upper and lower and that is the same this year, so probably all the intervening years too. But I guess I shouldn't assume. :smile:

• Member Contributer

Just checked again and RR4 and RR5 bikes used the same injectors, but on the RR6 and RR7 the upper injector changed to one half the price. WTF???

In '08 they changed to the MFL injector for upper and lower and that is the same this year, so probably all the intervening years too. But I guess I shouldn't assume. :smile:

I shouldn't either... I thought the '06 - '07 would be the same as the '04 - '05. :rolleyes:

Archived