Plastic Repair

YellowFuzz

• Member Contributer

Hello all,

The beast is getting old...16 years and the fairing around the mirrors is starting to crack. I'm going to take the front fairing off and try to fix it.

In your experience, what's a good product to use to try and fuse the pieces back together. I've tried super glue and it didn't hold very well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't have the coin to spend $400 on a new fairing.

Yellowfuzz

post-14876-0-48702700-1456101438.jpg

Ive used Loctite plastic epoxy with good results. It sets a translucent yellow color. One that sets clear would be better if you can find. Also if it won't cause a clearance issue you can reinforce the mend with wire mesh.

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately that is not a crack that can be fixed while the faring is on the bike. You need to remove the front upper fairing to make the repair. Use the Loctite mentioned above or similar repair epoxy and patch it from behind. Use tape on the front side to hold the cracked pieces tightly together and goop on a large "credit card" size patch over the cracks on the inside. Remember to corse sand and clean the surface with acetone before applying the epoxy.

• Member Contributer

Motorcycle Consumer News (April 2014 pp. 48)

navbar_logo.gif?lm=1441847063000
0048_ifnczj_bg.jpg?lm=14418470630000048_ifnczj_fg.png?lm=14418470630001ptrans.gif 1ptrans.gif

featured Plast-aid abs repair produce so I tried it and it works very well.

I ordered my kit directly from the Colorado company.

Archived