Almost Left Stranded...

Duc2V4

• Member Contributer

I knew I should have made a better effort to find a volt meter.

I've only been following this site for about a year, so that puts me about ten or fifteen years behind the median VFRD member. I get that VFRs are somewhat notorious for stator/RR failures. Even still, it's not obvious to this greenhorn how the volt meter would have given you advance warning of this impending failure. Would you have seen your operating voltage dropping off from something in the 14ish range to something less than that? Would the shorting have been evident on the meter days in advance of this failure? Hours?

RobF that's a pretty fair question. Early in the post Duc seems to suggest the Shorai battery was at fault, but the later pics show the stator/RR connector melted, and my assumption is that short fried the stator, and stopped charging the battery. So the RR is presumably fine, and the battery simply ran out of ergs or whatever batteries store. The voltmeter would have shown a dramatic drop, from the high 13's/low 14's of normal charging, to 12 or so when just the battery is powering things. The bike would have run for a while on just the battery but ultimately without charging, you're going to be stranded somewhere. Speaking from personal experience I spotted that my stator/RR connector was getting some corrosion when the voltage dropped from the usual (for my bike) 13.7 to 13.3. I cleaned the connectors and now it is back to normal. Had I not cleaned them, the increased resistance would produce heat and eventually melt the plugs and then bring on a fried stator.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Well, I'll throw in a plug for the AMA's bike / vehicle assist program. Years ago, when my G5 VFR's electrical shortcomings were hardly known, I rode a XL 650 to failure , got picked up and fetched home per flatbed.. Meanwhile 18!years later , post many electrical associated failures from a bike co. synonymous with reliable power generation , and as a charter life AMA member, I called on them again. By chance , I had decided to do the "Life Charter Plus contributation this year, and just stupidly locked the keys in my Subaru. A nice guy came to my work, used the 3 airbag technique to gain entry.

So while not directly Germaine to the topic ( Smokey & the Banditfans be quiet!) I feel compelled to share a service that delivers .

Duc: Four years ago I added the AAA motorcycle "towing" to my membership for some piece of mind, and in the fall of 2013 I had a chance to use it when my battery died (what a coincidence!) on the 1200. The day before, I had symptoms, brought it to the dealer, they tested the battery and said it was fine, so I was suspecting a replay of the stator/alternator issues experienced on my 6th gen a few years prior. But it was just the battery.

The truck arrived, and although the driver knew what he was doing, he just strapped the bike to a flatbed, no wheel chucks! They depend on the downward pressure of the straps and the traction of the tires on the metal bed to keep the bike upright. As you might suspect, I was freaking out all the way to the dealer.

I haven't cancelled this coverage since I don't know of a better alternative (since Christine doesn't live nearby ;-), but thought I'd share what you get when you sign up.

Duc: Four years ago I added the AAA motorcycle "towing" to my membership for some piece of mind, and in the fall of 2013 I had a chance to use it when my battery died (what a coincidence!) on the 1200. The day before, I had symptoms, brought it to the dealer, they tested the battery and said it was fine, so I was suspecting a replay of the stator/alternator issues experienced on my 6th gen a few years prior. But it was just the battery.

The truck arrived, and although the driver knew what he was doing, he just strapped the bike to a flatbed, no wheel chucks! They depend on the downward pressure of the straps and the traction of the tires on the metal bed to keep the bike upright. As you might suspect, I was freaking out all the way to the dealer.

I haven't cancelled this coverage since I don't know of a better alternative (since Christine doesn't live nearby ;-), but thought I'd share what you get when you sign up.

Well, I'll throw in a plug for the AMA's bike / vehicle assist program. Years ago, when my G5 VFR's electrical shortcomings were hardly known, I rode a XL 650 to failure , got picked up and fetched home per flatbed.. Meanwhile 18!years later , post many electrical associated failures from a bike co. synonymous with reliable power generation , and as a charter life AMA member, I called on them again. By chance , I had decided to do the "Life Charter Plus contributation this year, and just stupidly locked the keys in my Subaru. A nice guy came to my work, used the 3 airbag technique to gain entry.

So while not directly Germaine to the topic ( Smokey & the Banditfans be quiet!) I feel compelled to share a service that delivers .

Did I quote enough? Gotta study this a bit.

Archived