Cam Chain Freeplay?

Lint

So, I installed manual cam chain tensioners on my 05 and it's running fine, but what I haven't found is how much freepaly or slack there should be on the cam chains, so I know that my tensioners are not too tight not too loose. GGoing by ear is one thing, but knowing it is within spec is another. I looked in the downloadable service manual, but I haven't found it yet. This will also let me know that the cam chains are within spec also.

Please let me know.

As far as I know, if you've replaced them, they are spring-loaded and put pressure on the cam chain automatically. They aren't adjustable that I'm aware of. The spring does all the work and when it wears out then it's time for a replacement. I know some on the forum have added manual ones that can be adjusted. I'm sure someone will chime in and talk about alternatives.

As far as I know, if you've replaced them, they are spring-loaded and put pressure on the cam chain automatically. They aren't adjustable that I'm aware of. The spring does all the work and when it wears out then it's time for a replacement. I know some on the forum have added manual ones that can be adjusted. I'm sure someone will chime in and talk about alternatives.

I installed manual cam chain tensioners. I simply followed the install guide for APE tensioners;

To set the tensioner adjustment, rotate the engine forward while screwing the tensioner bolt in. When you feel the engine tensioner parts (guide, rollers, etc.) make contact with the moving cam chain, back the tensioner bolt out 1/4 turn and tighten the jam nut.

Archived