6Th Gen Ngk Iridium Spark Plug Question

Skids

• Member Contributer

Deep into the 64k service on my 08 VFR and I think I may have stupidly bought the wrong Iridium spark plugs. I didn't check the NGK guide first but trusted the seller on ebay to give me the correct one (yes, I know, stupid).

So, the catalogue says IMR9B-9H, but the ebay seller sent me CR9EHIX-9 which are the correct iridium plugs for the 5th Gen so I guess they should be compatible, but are they? What's the difference? Should I return them & put the correct ones in?

Thanks in advance.

edit: electronic catalogue here.

• Member Contributer

Ok, thanks m8.

Did you mean to add some text? All I see is 2 photos of IMR9D-9H, which are a third type of plug.

• Member Contributer

Those are the factory plugs out of my 2007. That is what I would go with.

Curious.

• Member Contributer

Why are you curious?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Because those are not the listed spark plug for the 02+ VFR.

Only a minor difference in serial number, but different nonetheless.

Whelp, I put 60,000 miles on those IMR9D-9H, changed them out for the same IMR9D-9H and have put another 10,000 mile on them. I would say the 2007 and 2008 are the same exact bike, if you want to be sure, pull your plugs. I would trust in the following order:

What is in your bike > What some guy on the forums is saying > Some catalog on the internet

• Member Contributer

I agree, but what was in my bike was disposed of 32k ago and my memory ain't what it was! :goofy:

The catalogue is an NGK official catalogue.

The ones I just pulled out are 9B-9H so I've gone with those again since they've been fine for 32k.

With serial numbers that close, I can't imagine there's much difference between them anyway.

• 4 months later...

The Honda workshop manual has IMR9B-9H listed.

Those have a solid top, whereas the original 5th Gen (CR9EH-9) has the threaded top. This difference is important as otherwise the cap or CoP if using such, won't fit and connect correctly. Maybe the 6th Gen requires the solid top? They used to include a screw on top to convert, but looks like now it's one or the other.

Also, the IMR9B-9H is projected nose

whereas the IMR9D-9H is NON projected

So these may not be interchangeable, although the NGK recommended Iridium replacement for the non projected CR9EH-9 is actually projected. So it's not clear cut.

Archived