Thermostat Part Number For Y2K

jeffyjeff

• Member Contributer

Year 2000 VFR. Symptoms: runs great. Minor coolant leaks, slow to warm up, Runs hotter than my '98 when ambient temp over 100.

Removed throttle body, located and repaired leak at rear cylinder head outlet to thermostat. Went to replace thermostat with new part number 19300-MBG-003. The thermostat is about 1 inch too short for the thermostat housing. I checked the online parts fiche for 1998, 2000, and 2001 model years. All show the same part number.

Something is up. It is plain to see that the stat I need is different than the part I was sent. The difference between early and late model 5th gens is the wax unit fuel enrichment control. The thermostat housings are different because of that. What about the thermostats? The package marking matched the online part number, but the thermostat is clearly not the right one.

Anybody know the correct part number for a 2000 thermostat?

Thanks, Jeff J

• Member Contributer

Apologies in advance Jeff, but are you putting the thermostat in the right way up?

The spring part should hang down into the bowl of the housing. Does the new part look like the old part that you pulled out? If the old one had failed they usually stick open, and that would make the old one look longer than the new one (when it is cold). Pop the new one in some boiling water and you will see it move open, which will make it project downwards further.

Here's one I tested earlier (out of my VTR but probably the same p/no):

IMG_1390.jpg

• Member Contributer

I don't think the housing will assemble with the thermostat upside down. No. I definitely have not made a mistake on assembly. Actually, I cleaned some debris from the bottom of the housing that was holding the stat open. That explains the cold temp, slow to warm up symptoms. I reassembled after cleaning out the housing. The original thermostat is working fine now. I was just wondering about the part I received. The stat with the proper fit looks very similar to the pic you posted. The one I received is shorter than that. Might have received a mis-marked part. Thanks, Jeff J.

• Member Contributer

Honda probably just spec's the thermostats and buys them in from one of the major manufacturers. Sometimes supplier change, and if so, so would the design when it is not part of the part spec. However, the different manufacturer is usually indicated by a change to the last digit of the part number, and AFAIK the original part number (19300-MBG-003) has not been superseded. (According to Ron Ayers, all RC46 use that part number, plus the '98-'99 CBR900RR, but no other US-spec Hondas.) Also, Google images for that part number and you will see many pictures of the actual part.

Ciao,

Archived