Oil Consumption

VifferRiderUK

• Member Contributer

Hi aitchUK,

what grade of oil are you using ? 10w30 5w30 5w40 ? what does your manual say/advise ?

mine only used about 500ml between 2000kms and 12500kms .

and between 12500kms and 16000kms 0ml .

Mine needed a 200 ml top up during the second oil change period, and has not needed any more since.

HONDA full synthetic on intervals of 4000 miles. Now at 14500.

The 08 Fireblades are notorious for burning oil. I have heard up to a liter per thousand miles is somehow considered "normal".

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'll keep a close eye on the oil consumption. @ Rob916 I'm not sure what oil the dealer put in it after the 600 mile first service. I would hope it's the one recommended by Honda in the UK i.e. 10w 30. I topped it up with Castrol semi-synthetic 10w30 which matched the owners manual recommendations exactly.

Mine needed a 200 ml top up during the second oil change period, and has not needed any more since.

HONDA full synthetic on intervals of 4000 miles. Now at 14500.

The 08 Fireblades are notorious for burning oil. I have heard up to a liter per thousand miles is somehow considered "normal".

Honda replaced the rings as a warranty issue on 08's.

I think the manufacturers try to limit their liability and expense to say its normal to use a 1/2 quart of oil per 1,000 mile. Ofcourse they are all full of chit.

My ktm says its normal to burn 1/2 ounce per hour, ktm is damn lucky that it doesn't. It doesn't burn at all actually , very impressive.

Archived