Side Stand Too Upright

fuelex

This morning my eight day old VFR fell off its side stand. I reversed the bike out of the shed, put it on the side stand and turned around to close the shed doors only to hear the sickening sound of 240kg of bike toppling onto our stone drive. I'd noticed that the side stand holds the bike very upright and I had to be careful when parking it on uneven surfaces but thought I'd been careful this morning.

My shiny new bike now has nasty scrapes down the side panels but is otherwise intact.

Has anyone else had problems with the angle the side stand holds the bike at? Can it be adjusted to tilt the bike further over?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

This morning my eight day old VFR fell off its side stand. I reversed the bike out of the shed, put it on the side stand and turned around to close the shed doors only to hear the sickening sound of 240kg of bike toppling onto our stone drive. I'd noticed that the side stand holds the bike very upright and I had to be careful when parking it on uneven surfaces but thought I'd been careful this morning.

My shiny new bike now has nasty scrapes down the side panels but is otherwise intact.

Has anyone else had problems with the angle the side stand holds the bike at? Can it be adjusted to tilt the bike further over?

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

All motorcycles are going to be a bit iffy when on uneven ground or inclines on their sidestands. Or on any stands.

I have not had this problem you describe but I think I have come close. That is, I have noticed once or twice where I failed to fully deploy the side stand, and noticed that it would easily have led to the bike sneaking forward and tipping over had I not been sufficiently attentive. When the side stand is deployed correctly it seems quite secure to me.

I don't think there's any way to adjust the stand without getting creative. You could probably sand/grind off some metal where the hinge is to make the side stand open further forward if you wanted. Look closely at how the stand stops rotating about its hinge to figure out what I'm talking about. But don't do too much! It's a one-way street unless you have a welder, or you want to glue steel shims in there!

But however much you grind, you still have to make sure the stand deploys securely before you hop off.

There are adjustable stands "out there." Google turns up several options. Not sure which, if any, would be an easy fitment to the VFR. Perhaps someone here will know more. Otherwise you'd have to search around, maybe send a few emails.

Surprised to hear that. Is the bike lowered?

Mine sits at quite an angle on the sidestand. If I hold the bike upright, there is a good 20mm + under the sidestand, and I often put a piece of 16mm timber under the sidestand when parked in my shed so that it doesn't lean at such a dramatic angle, and I have my forks raised 10mm through the triples as well.

Mine does not have any problems standing on the sidestand,honda does type in the manual toat it is recomended to have the wheel turned full left when using the sidestand for extra weight to that side..

• Member Contributer

Was Thinking the same too. Have never had any problems with the side stand and it does lean over a bit and I park mine on rough ground most of the time.

I'm surprised about this as well. The stand is far better than my NC700's, which has a very short dead center and can easily snap back, almost causing me to drop the bike on several occasions.

I have not had this problem you describe but I think I have come close. That is, I have noticed once or twice where I failed to fully deploy the side stand, and noticed that it would easily have led to the bike sneaking forward and tipping over had I not been sufficiently attentive.

It would topple over onto it's left hand side in a case like this, I'm assuming the OP's bike fell over to the left due to him mentioning the bike standing too upright.

Sorry to read about the damage by the way OP! Absolutely gutting isn't it, I dropped my absolutely pristine 750 when taking it off the centre stand, ended up getting the whole bike resprayed haha!

Yes it is true that the side stand is to upright on my 2010 VFR . I got a ticket for speeding in New Hampshire, pulled over and parked a bit as cue. Right in front of the cop the unscrached VFR tipped over. I also would like to find out if an adjustment can be done to the side stand?

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like there may be some variation from bike to bike. My VFR stands up very straight compared with my CB1000R which never came close to toppling on our drive. Even this morning, I noticed that the bike was starting to slide forward on the stand. I'll get it checked out at the 600 mile service next week.

I'm just back from three days touring in the Peak District which put nearly 600 miles on the bike. As an experiment, I measured the lean angle, with the bike in the same location, before I left and when I returned. It now leans roughly three degrees more than it did (using the handy spirit level app on my phone) so I can only guess that it was the spring tension on a new bike or something blocking the stand from fully deploying. Either way, it seems better now than it was.

Archived