Speedo Stuck?

adeyren

• Member Contributer

Took her out for a spin this afternoon and noticed the speedo is stuck at 30mph but the odometer is working ok. First it stuck at 15 but didnt drop back, then went to 30 and stayed there. Was working fine early Thursday morn coming back from the IOM.

• Member Contributer

Check the plastic spacer that connects the sprocket to the sensor, many times the inner part that couples the sprocket bolt wears out. It could also be the actual sensor, my 09's sensor went out on me about a year and a half ago. I think I only had about 29k miles on the back at that time too.

• Member Contributer

Thought of that but doesnt the plastic spacer "power" the speedo and the odometer. My odometer still works.

Honda manual says

"odometer/trip meter operate normally but speedometer does not operate"

Cause - faulty speedometer.

• Member Contributer

Thought of that but doesnt the plastic spacer "power" the speedo and the odometer. My odometer still works.

Honda manual says

"odometer/trip meter operate normally but speedometer does not operate"

Cause - faulty speedometer.

With my situation, the odometer was working but it was probably based on the MPH that was being read. I recall the first time I noticed the speedometer not reading correctly when I was retuning from one of the Sieera rides I took and when it actually went out completely, I was on my way to Palm Springs, the odo did calculate mileage up until it went out entirely. Worth checking it out.

• Member Contributer

I had a faulty speedo coupling at the countershaft sprocket and that was making intermittent contact with the nut that drives it, so the odo looked OK (but was probably under-reading) but the speedo was behaving erratically reading OK then dropping to zero. Your problem doesn't sound like that so I doubt the coupling is at fault, more likely a fault within the speedo that is causing the needle to stick. I'd be trying to get some form of lubricant (silicone?) onto the needle pivot and see if that helps.

Archived