Bluetooth Earbuds

Jovinski

Hello all. I have been out of the riding scene for a while and after my car broke, I rode my bike for about a week after it had been sitting for over a year and now I am wanting to ride more often. I am looking for a set of bluetooth earbuds. The headphones that I had have died since it's been more than three years since I have been serious about riding. However, even then I remember that the wires always got caught in my jacket, regardless of how I routed them and ended up pulling the buds out of my ears. So I have been researching bluetooth headsets and have seen a lot of different options. But I know nothing about reliablity, fit, and sound. I saw some older posts about earbuds but nothing about bluetooth sets that actually go into the ear. I have had a Scala Rider but I want something in ear to reduce the wind and road noise. Does anyone have any experience with anything?

Thanks, jb

• Member Contributer

Westone UM1 earplugs plugged into a Sena SMH-10 B/T'd to my phone/Sat Nag/pillion.

Worked virtually seamlessly for 3 years now.

• Member Contributer

I recently did a write-up of a solution that worked for me:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/45178-earbuds-that-fit/page-2#entry1011877

This solution does a great job reducing wind noise, but it's not cheap. It involves earbuds connected via wire -- which is maybe exactly the thing you are trying to eliminate.

I've been using earbuds from Walmart that are of the athletic variety meaning they are waterproof and wrap around your ear. Previously I used helmet speakers.

I can't wait to find a better solution as the helmet speakers are loud, and the earbuds are a pain to get my helmet on with and are uncomfortable for more than an hour or two at a time.

I've checked out Gorrilla Ears right here in Greenville, but to be honest I cannot afford 500$ earbuds. Not as of yet anyways...

Skids, stupid questions, probably, but where do you plug in your headphones to the Sena? And you just stick the rest of the cord into the helmet somewhere? I have the Scala but it didn't allow for a plug nor did it have stereo back then. Not looking for a phone connection per se, but this looks promising. Thanks!

Westone UM1 earplugs plugged into a Sena SMH-10 B/T'd to my phone/Sat Nag/pillion.

Worked virtually seamlessly for 3 years now.

Rob, I did read your write-up. Very detailed. But still wired, and pricey. But honestly, probably better than the ear buds I have tried in the past and with something like this, I might get a little tug if the cord catches in the jacket, but it wouldn't pull the headphone out. Thanks.

I recently did a write-up of a solution that worked for me:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/45178-earbuds-that-fit/page-2#entry1011877

This solution does a great job reducing wind noise, but it's not cheap. It involves earbuds connected via wire -- which is maybe exactly the thing you are trying to eliminate.

There are so many different ideas out there. I've even looked at the collar type headsets that are also a phone connection. That at least would stop the cord issue into the jacket. But I don't know that those earbuds are designed for any type of "action" and would probably fall out. I'll keep thinking about it.

• Member Contributer

Jovinski

You have to buy a separate Sena mounting plate which has an aux connector for the earbuds. No time now to find links, sorry.

I just tuck the wire down under my jacket before I zip it up.

Earbuds keep as much noise out as standard earplugs and you get superb sound from yr mp3 player.

Used daily for years and it works very well.

• Member Contributer

Note that the Cardo G9x has a 1/8" mini plug on the unit which allows you to use any standard headphone with their setup.Wwhat you do with the excess wire is up to you. I've actually shortened headset wires before and actually helped fellow member wtgregt modify his Chatterbox headset/mic cables, but for my setup I'm just using the helmet speakers that came with my G9x. I am using the spacer pads too and it does make a difference.

Archived