Garmin Express Map Update Problems

daffyduck1962

I use a Zumo 550, with Windows 7. Avast anti-virus free version installed.

Express finds the unit but then fails during the update every time.

I have had an ongoing issue updating my maps, and have raised a case with Garmin Europe about this problem.

This has been going on for several months now, and all they ask me to do, is update to the latest version of Garmin express, and sent them logs of my unit.

Their last suggestion is to turn off my anti-virus software, update to the latest version of Garmin express, and then try to update the maps.

I am concerned that if I do this my laptop is open to attacks.

Would you recommend this course of action as being safe?

Has anyone else had a similar problem, and how did you overcome it?

I am not that clever with a laptop so if there are any instructions, please could you explain in 'baby' steps so I can follow your suggestions

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1545.

• Member Contributer

Typically when I'm asked to disable AV software I make sure that I am not connected to the Internet and/or a local network when I'm installing the new software. However, sometimes the only way to install the software is by being online so in these cases, I usually make sure everything else is up to date, I.e. Windows patches, other software patches and then I do a full backup of my HD and also do a windows backup, before disabling AV and going online to do the software update.

Yes it seems like a bit of work and it is to some degree but usually a lot less than if you have to get a nasty virus removed or have to rebuild the machine. Since I work with computers I do have more than one and I often use my "beta" machine. It is completely isolated from my home network and I can afford to wipe it clean and start over if need be.

Normally if you are behind a firewall and all you are surfing to is the one web site, you should be fine, but as I mentioned above, if you can download the software while your AV software is active, that's a much safer approach.

• Member Contributer

AV software isn't perfect. Just remember that. It's the stuff it won't catch that should scare you.

For all you know, there's something hidden away on your computer and the AV doesn't even know it's there, and that could end up being the source of your troubles. Anything is possible.

If you're going to a relatively trusted web site, little to be concerned about. Look up "malvertising" for more info.

The firewall software or settings have little meaning or use if you connect to the Interwebz from behind a router device.

Behind a router, no AV running, nothing is gonna jump up from the toilet seat. If all you're doing is running or installing a piece of trusted software, there should be no risk. And if you don't trust the software, no amount of AV or firewall is gonna help.

What you can try is remove the unit from Express (start GE, in GE click on units and remove/delete the Zumo, close GE). After that remove(backup/rename) the file GarminDevice.xml from the map Garmin on your Zumo using a file manager. Start GE and update the maps.

Archived