No Turn Signals & Now The Dash Light No Work Video Inside

Tews19

I believe it does. The headlight is much brighter and doesn't have the yellow tint that some bikes do. Here is a video of the area that I unwrapped and that seemed to release a pinched wire??? The housing itself I state gets hot but once I unwrapped it and the wires were no longer compressed the heat issue was no longer. Is HID a cheap mod? or for that, is it a mod that improves the headlight??? Sounds dumb but I have no clue.

Here is the video.

Unless the hid is in a projector retrofit, it is a dumb squid mod. The factory reflector housings were not designed for HID use and they will not focus the light properly. I have done it in my dumb squid days on my 07 VFR and it just sprays light everywhere and not where it is supposed to be, you just wind up pissing off oncoming traffic, more than anything.

If you just have a normal light bulb with a filament and maybe a blueish tint on the glass thats fine.

If you have a long skinny glass tube with a bubble in the center and a metal rod running down to the end, that is an HID bulb. HIDs will flash brightly on, then go dim and then slowly warm up. You can hear them slightly hum or buzz while they do this as the start up voltages are around 20,000 volts. There will be a custom harness plugged into the head light socket with wires going to the ballast and then back to the bulb.

• Member Contributer

i've been following along with this thread, checking various connections and cleaning them as suggested, as I was having the exact same issue as Tews19. I'm now at a slightly different place. The gauge lights work and the left blinker blinks, but when I switch to the right blinker, the relay buzzes and the right blinker light goes dimmer. Is this now a relay problem? I will check the left switches again, as i believe this started after cracking that open. I've cleaned and reconnected many connections behind the gauges, under the seat, etc. There are still more to go. I will of course post back if I isolate and resolve this.

Okay I just watched your video. The orange connector is your ground block. Take it apart, clean it and put it back together. There may be dirty, burnt up connections in there. Also watching the video, I saw no headlight flash or warm up, you do not have HIDs. About the RR and fan, Thats a 15 year bandaid for a problem that has already been addressed with the advent of the modern FH020aa RR that makes relatively zero heat.

• Member Contributer

I agree with CandyRed. That headlight system could be problematic. However, that orange block that you touched and killed the bike, that's the ground connector that I was referring to. Open it up, inspect it for burnt areas, clean it up, add oxguard or similar, and button it back up. It's not supposed to get hot or even warm. Note that since it's already getting hot, that indicates that there is some arcing going on in the connector, and I suspect you may need to clean it really well or possibly have to recondition or replace it.

• Member Contributer

Well, I hope the orange grounding block is Tews19's problem as well. Sure enough I opened up the orange ground block, cleaned it off (it looked fine) and problem solved! I obviously don't understand electronics well enough to see why this worked, no moving parts, it was very clean. I did however semi-destroy the top cover while removing, it was quite brittle. I taped the cover back on, hopefully that's ok.

Thanks again everyone!

• Member Contributer

Well, the problem has returned! :mad: I went out yesterday and all was fine most of the day. By night fall the problem returned. It was actually happening while riding ...it went back and forth a couple of times. So, sure enough this morning I popped off the seat, confirmed the problem was still there, then literally just squeezed the electrical table I had wrapped around the orange ground block - and the problem cleared! I did not touch anything else under the seat.

So this is obviously going to reoccur, so I'm think I may need to replace the orange ground block. Any advice on that task would be greatly appreciated. I am not electrically inclined, but I am learning!

• Member Contributer

Orange ground block is now gone and the grounds are soldered together. So far so good, I'll be out this weekend and will report back.

• Member Contributer

Looks like soldering the grounds together did the trick! Went up to Tahoe and back (200 miles rt) without issue. This is the longest the problem has been absent, so I believe this was the solution. Thanks again everyone!

Archived