No Turn Signals & Now The Dash Light No Work Video Inside

Tews19

Yesterday I started by changing the oil on my 99 VFR. I changed out the sprockets and the chain. Now the bike is back together and the turn signals do not work. The dash only lights on when I first start the bike and then it turns off. The dash lights that is. I made a video of what is going on.

I checked all fuses and they are in working order. I am new to modern bikes and the 70's Honda's I am accustomed to have demons but not any that have stumped me like this.

Please watch the video and any insight would be great.

If I had to guess, I'd say you reconnected the turn signals improperly (assuming you had the fairings off, anyway) otherwise, I'd say pinched wire somewhere.

Dunno about VFRs, but on my R1 the turn signal connectors are a triangular connector that can be hooked up the wrong way, which caused my signals to not work when I changed my oil recently.

• Member Contributer

Hard to say from watching that. Grounds (Earths) are an often overlooked source of problems. If a circuit's ground is bad, after reaching each component, the electricity cannot return to the battery normally so it starts looking for other ways back which can cause all sorts of weird problems. In addition to grounds, maybe separate the connectors in the harness and check for any corrosion, loose wires, etc. I treat mine with Ox-gard which can be had at most hardware stores or on Amazon.

Zombie thanks for the feedback. I did not disconnect the turn signals but I went over and double checked them. They are all good to go.

Cogs- Thanks for constantly helping me out. I really appreciate it. I was doing more research as it seems electrical demons and ANY Honda seem meet paths at one time or another. I made another video which may help me figure this out.

If I push the kill button ON, all the electrical seems to function properly if I try to start the bike. Obviously the bike won't start but the electrical issues seem to function as if it should. All turn signals work, dash board lights, everything. I am debating if I want to take the dash out as I think as it was mentioned I may have a bad ground? Here is a video

I can't speak from personal experience, but I've seen posts describing similar problems and they seem to always be ground-related. As Cogswell said, a bad ground in one part of the system can cause current to flow through other components as the current tries to find its way back to the battery. So the problem might not be your turn signals or dash, but somewhere else in the wiring harness(es). You might want to start looking at all the harness connectors. Unfortunately some of the ground connections are hidden (wrapped together) inside the harnesses. I don't know the details, but I've seen pictures elsewhere on VFRD that show this. Sorry I can't be more specific.

• Member Contributer

The right turn signal indicator is dimmer than the left. Are the right signal bulbs themselves dimmer than the left?

One other thought: before I did anything else, I'd make sure the battery was good and that the connections are clean and tight.

Good luck!

• Member Contributer

I would start with the right handlebar switch pod. It seems like the starter switch is not working correctly. It should cut all of the lights when pressed to run the starter motor, and then when released all of the lights should come back on. I'm guessing the switch is fouled or sticking. Or you have a grounding issue, like others have mentioned.

• Member Contributer

Some spray contact cleaner might be a way to initially approach working with the kill / starter switch. Sometimes a bit can clear up any corrosion and re-establish continuity. You might also trace the wiring from the switch to where those circuits are grounded and inspect there.

Thanks you all for more great insight. Looks like I will be pulling the front fairing off.

Not to sound more incompetent but what cleaner do you all recommend of contact cleaner with the wires?

SO here is the latest video!!! My trouble shooting skills are horrible so I do it the long way one would say. Front fairing is off. I need to clean out the left hand control and will replace the part that is making a buzzing sound.

Well my buddy walked me through testing for continuity and there is continuity with all ground wires. I than tested the charging system and while idling th charging system was properly functioning.I am thinking the flasher is bad. Any one have an auto zone flasher relay i should try or do I order a honda one?

• Member Contributer

Have you had a chance to look at the right handle bar switch pod yet? I'm still thinking the starter button is the problem (or maybe the kill switch). I would open up the switch pod and clean both switches with elecrical contact cleaner, and check them to make sure there isn't any kind of a mechanical or electrical problem in there.

So it gets weird. The new relay did not resolve the problem. But I unplugged some parts , blew them out, restarted the bike but realized the fuel injection plug in was out. Plugged that back in. Plugged in the one part under the seat after cleaning. Reassembled the control after I found the little bearing...... Everything works as it should????????!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to wait for my LED bulbs to come in tomorrow and will check it all again before I put the bike's fairing back on.

Probably unplugging and replugging one of the connectors cleaned off its pins enough to restore a poor connection. If problem returns, revisit all the connectors and spray each with a bit of contact cleaner.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I have the EXACT same issue with my 99 VFR, so I will take the advice found here and see how it goes. Check the grounds, contacts, plugs, apply contact cleaner. Thanks everyone.

Well I have the problem again. Now the dash only lights up when i first start the bike. I am debating if I pull everything again and clean again all contacts. Now if there is an electrical short in the gauge itself would this cause a problem?

• Member Contributer

One of the problematic ground plugs on the 5th gen is a little forward of that 30amp connector that you unplugged in your video. It's right near the Stator/RR connector, wrapped up in a thick part of the main wiring harness with black electrical tape.

What is that 30amp connector and HID relay for? Does your bike have an aftermarket HID headlight setup installed?

Archived