Re-Paint?

aks801

A bit of a hypothetical here.

Let's just say I were to pick up a 5th-Gen (good start, right?) that needed some updating. Structurally sound but could use new suspension bits, all new fluids, maybe an upgraded rear shock system (perhaps something from Sweden). And let's say the plastic was kinda sorta faded and I wanted it to look PRIMO.

How much is involved in pulling ALL of the bodywork, getting it prepped and painted, then remounting it all? And any ideas on cost?

• Member Contributer

Lots of varibles , condition of skins(cracks or deep scratches to be repaired), how many layers to be removed, custom color or factory mix, premium brand finish system or midstage.

But Gigs right , I have refinished quite a few for about that price range.

If you DIY it, expect a TON of work if you want a good looking result.

Also, you should probably multiply any estimate by 3. So, 3 tons.

Apparently this is why a paint job costs near as much as the bike is worth. :wink:

Well, unless you listen to Timmythecop or legions of squid and go rattle can flat black. :happy:

I did this.

Tore down all the pieces. Diy repair and prep'd. Bought quality paint/clear at a good price from auto paint store. Took the plastics + tank to painter. Picked up the parks from painter and re assembled.

$100 for 1.5 pints of paint/clear (paint was 1:1)
$50 for Sandpaper, abs glue, bondo, etc.
$400 for painter fixing my 'fixes' and doing the rest of his thang.

I need to wet sand/buff/wax and it'll be show room :D

DIY part of it is a LOT of time though. Taking it to a painter made sense vs buying all the equipment, converting garage to paint booth, etc. So your time is worth something. You can look at it like this; you can always be gardening instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived