Side Panel Reassembly - Help Required

Skids

• Member Contributer

Hi all

I finally got around to refitting the fairings on my 7th Gen after fitting my new HiD-Xenon headlamp bulb but I've ended up with a small issue.

A. I have one of those spacer collars left over. It's not one of the 2 from the headlamp mount as I know I put those back in so it's come from somewhere else.

B. Worse still, the fairings aren't aligning properly. Basically, at the front, the inner panel next to the headlamp unit is not sitting inside the outer panel. It's better seen in the photos attached. It looks as if the inner panels aren't sitting correctly and are being forced out of shape but I replaced them both very carefully so I don't know what it causing it.

Has anyone else experienced the same and figured out what caused it?

Of course I will disassemble but I was hoping someone would know the problem before I did.

Thanks.

IMAG03831_zpsx8caqaaf.jpg

IMAG03841_zps8rhu7gvs.jpg

And yes, I know she needs a wash.

Check to make sure that you have the fairing snapped correctly into the boss/snap thing. On my left side, I missed this connector and it didn't quite line up correctly.

IMG_20150315_125515_zpswuvkrnxl.jpg

Edit:

It should be easy to tell if the connector above is missed because this seam wont line up quite right... I can send a picture of what mine looked like when I get home.

8-4-2015%202-52-49%20PM_zpsmbkxnilg.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'm sure it's not that spline, I watched it go on, on both sides.

I think something is forcing the inner, grey panel out of shape. Just don't know what it is.

There are small tabs the inner fairing attaches to the outer fairing in the frontal section. Also the front will slide forward and attach beside the headlight. This can be stubborn to align, but don't be scared to apply some pressure to the side of the panel while pushing from front to back to engage the panel. It is hard to explain, but take your time. Start with the panel level and slightly forwards of the headlight.Push the panel reward in towards the bike at the same time,it should slide into place.Good luck

Any luck? I think motorn is correct looking at the differences between your picture and the (last) one I posted.

If you are still struggling, can you take a picture that looks more 'into' the air vent next to the headlight?

• Member Contributer

Tried again yesterday....both panels and headlamp unit off and reassembled. Problem is still there.

Unfortunately, one of the little tabs on the outer panel of each fairing has broken off, just in front of where the little Phillips screw goes in. This may explain at least some of the issue but I don't think it's everything.

I can't believe the whole positioning rests on one tiny tab, which is clearly susceptible to breaking off. <angry.gif>

Archived