Saddlebag Key Cylinder Inner Set Installation

I'm about to order OEM hard bags for my 2014 and I see from Honda's accessory site the key body parts and cylinder sets come separate, which is OK except my dealer wants three hours service to assemble the cylinder sets because the last time they took four hours! I see on the Honda accessory site that key cylinder set 08M70-MJE-D01 comes with various forks, tumblers, etc. so can I take all this to a locksmith who should be able to do it in 15 minutes? The dealer is also telling me that Honda says it will still be a separate key for the bags, not matched to my ignition. What has anyone else done who has the hard bags? I don't mind two separate keys but hours to assemble the bag key set is crazy. Thanks, Jim

• Member Contributer

I'm about to order OEM hard bags for my 2014 and I see from Honda's accessory site the key body parts and cylinder sets come separate, which is OK except my dealer wants three hours service to assemble the cylinder sets because the last time they took four hours! I see on the Honda accessory site that key cylinder set 08M70-MJE-D01 comes with various forks, tumblers, etc. so can I take all this to a locksmith who should be able to do it in 15 minutes? The dealer is also telling me that Honda says it will still be a separate key for the bags, not matched to my ignition. What has anyone else done who has the hard bags? I don't mind two separate keys but hours to assemble the bag key set is crazy. Thanks, Jim

Oh, God. You need to tell the dealer folks to go "f" themselves. And please tell me you're not using those idiots to sell you the hard bags. They don't deserve the profit. Save yourself a few hundred dollars and go mail-order.

The lock kits come with all the little bits necessary to make the new locks match the existing key(s).

It comes with instructions (not the clearest but not terrible either) and unless you're a complete buffoon, even someone who has never seen the inside of a lock should be able to set the cylinders to match the existing key(s) in well under two hours. And if you had to do it again you'd probably only take a bit over half an hour.

Any even remotely competent apprentice locksmith would be able to do it all (both cylinders), yeah, in about 15-20 minutes.

Reading stuff like this really makes my blood boil.

• Member Contributer

Agree the longest one will take bout an hour if you do it by the book. Less if you kind of disregard the instructions to try every tumbler size and take a guess.

Worked with me and had it done in half an hour for 1.

Make a note of the tumblers position and the second one will be done in no time.

My dealer gave me the same crap.

The keys are matched to the ignition as you are provided with all the tumblers.

• Member Contributer

Now that I've cooled down a bit...

It's nice to follow directions but sometimes it's nice to know why you're doing what you're being instructed to do.

YouTube, as is the case with many other things, is a treasure trove of videos on how stuff works and lock cylinders are no exception. Search for something like "how lock cylinders work". Most of the videos will feature pin tumblers (little cylindrical pins) instead of the plate tumblers that most auto/moto stuff uses but the idea is the same.

If you watch a few videos first, everything will become clear after you've got all the stuff laid out in front of you and you've set the first tumbler plate or pin.

Your dealer is taking the p@ss. The first barrel takes the longest as you have to try the various tumblers in each slot with the key in place to see which tumbler sits flush with the outer diameter. You record the tumbler size for each slot position on the paperwork provided which enables the second barrel to be completed within 10 minutes max. Give it a go, it's really not as daunting as it looks. One key for the ignition and both panniers and top box :)

This is kind of what I expected so when the set arrives I'll give it a try. There are plenty of locksmiths if I reach my patience limit. Until then, I see what I can learn on You Tube. Thanks for the fast replies.

• Member Contributer

Yep, I did my own OEM pannier lock barrels. I did find it a tedious job and a sight for sore eyes working with tiny springs and tumblers, but the instructions are good and if you are patient you can do it yourself. Record the tumbler combination for the first barrel then just fit the same for the second and your done. Have to admit it took me a couple of hours to have both panniers completed. And YES the ignition key does the lot, including a top box if you get one.

• 2 weeks later...

I just re-coded the locks on some used bags I bought. Lots of screws to remove the entire lock assembly, but no hardship really. On disassembling the barrel and tumblers etc I found I only needed one more medium tumbler for each lock. So I went searching...

And found several rear seat locks recovered from damaged Honda SP-1s (RVT1000s). The cylinder is slightly different, but uses the same tumblers so now I have a good selection to pick from. I would guess Honda uses the same tumblers in most, if not all their locks.

One thing I realised to speed up tumbler selection is to not put in the springs each time. Just drop in the chosen tumbler(s), insert key and rotate the cylinder 180° so the tumblers are falling down onto the key, with slight finger pressure for reluctant tumblers. You can then see what adjustments are needed and it's quick to swap them around without having to mess with the springs each time with the potential for one to hop out and disappear - you KNOW it will disappear if you drop it. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Just put the key in and run your finger along the top of the tumbler, any that don't fit you will feel sitting slightly higher.

• 1 month later...

Oh, God. You need to tell the dealer folks to go "f" themselves. And please tell me you're not using those idiots to sell you the hard bags. They don't deserve the profit. Save yourself a few hundred dollars and go mail-order.

The lock kits come with all the little bits necessary to make the new locks match the existing key(s).

It comes with instructions (not the clearest but not terrible either) and unless you're a complete buffoon, even someone who has never seen the inside of a lock should be able to set the cylinders to match the existing key(s) in well under two hours. And if you had to do it again you'd probably only take a bit over half an hour.

Any even remotely competent apprentice locksmith would be able to do it all (both cylinders), yeah, in about 15-20 minutes.

Reading stuff like this really makes my blood boil.

My lock kit did not come with instructions. Can someone post theirs?

• Member Contributer

My lock kit did not come with instructions. Can someone post theirs?

It's on Honda's web site.

Go to powersports.honda.com

Click Street, Sport, Interceptor

Click Accessories link on the left

Click Rear Trunk (or any of the side cases if you select the Cargo heading)

See "Installation Instructions"

Perhaps it's a little weird that there's no instructions link for the lock bits themselves...

Archived