Brake Chatter - Lbs Related?

VifferCrab

Haven't had a chance to fully inspect it yet, but the last two times I've ridden it in low speed situations, I'm getting brake chatter from the front, when pressing down lightly on rear brake only. Does not happen when applying front brake lever.

I'm assuming pads and rotors are good, since it only happens in that certain scenario, and the fact that it just passed state inspection.

Common occurrence with LBS that's a known "feature" or maybe just needs a brake service done? 8400 miles on it, 2002.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Personally I believe it's because only the center piston being activated by the rear pedal that doesn't give even pressure to the ends of the pad thus allowing it to vibrate. It has happened to me on occasion but squeezing the front brake lightly or putting slightly more pressure on the rear pedal quells it.

Personally I believe it's because only the center piston being activated by the rear pedal that doesn't give even pressure to the ends of the pad thus allowing it to vibrate. It has happened to me on occasion but squeezing the front brake lightly or putting slightly more pressure on the rear pedal quells it.

Thanks for the reply. it certainly seems to be exasorbated in city stop/go when there's some heat in the rotors. I'll keep logging data in my head to see if I can really define what the exact conditions are when it happens. Glad to hear, it's just a "feature". :)

hey VifferCrab, I have the same problem, after I installed new rear brake pads..

But since it only happens when i am going very slow, I havent bother to fix it.

But yeh, especially when you want to crawl at 3 or 4 mph, and the whole front end starts to vibrate... :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have had the same issue for a few years now on my 05, however my vibration seems to be coming from the rear. I recently (1 month ago) replaced the rear rotor (EBC wave) and put on new HH pads. No change in behavior, I agree with Duc2V4 that when a light squeeze of the front or more pressure on rear makes it go away. Defintely more noticable in stop and go and when brakes are "hot"

+eb0

Hi

Can you explain to me, the normal feeling when the ABS on a 2006 bike comes to action?

I had brake maintenance and got new stock pads for the rear 1000km ago when I bought the bike.

My AB is ok. Light only under 10km/h.

Sometimes I tried on dry surface only with rear pedal, but could push where hard w/o any ABS like effect.

The bike was slowing down also felt the front brakes and remained stabilise.

I have what I believe is the same issue. When commuting home from work it's pretty much 1st gear, coast a little, drag the rear brake lightly on the slight downhill sections with the clutch pulled in or feathering. After 15 minutes or so almost like clockwork, I lightly apply the rear brake and the front end vibrates like you're riding over rumble strips. Apply harder the bike stops. Unfortunately the traffic picks up after that and I'm symptom free. Never have found out why but it must have to do with the single piston being applied to the front by the linked rear brake as a previous member stated. I've read about cleaning the floating brake disc bobbins as a remedy too. The bobbins are supposed too be free to rotate apparently.

Archived