Worse Mpg After Small Crash

I merged into a lane and another gentleman proceeded to do the same thing into me a couple of seconds later. It was at 55-60 mph; the bike slid on the left side for 20ft. Beyond that the bike experienced relatively mild road rash. This happened during a long trip and I noticed that I was getting better gas mileage while going faster prior to the accident I'd say about 70 miles by the tank. There are no leaks. (I most likely should be checking/replacing spark plugs and air filter btw.)

After a full fill up, half the bars would be gone after about 70 miles (give or take). Is there a way that some sort of gas level sensor might of been damaged? I swear I was paying less between fill ups. Any clues or suggestions? Anything is appreciated and thank you.

Gas gauge might be wrong. Instead of counting bars, just look at the gas station pump and see how many gallons you put in. Use the odometer's trip meter to figure out how many miles you went. Divide. You should be seeing about 40-45 miles per gallon, depending on how you ride.

• Member Contributer

And disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes and reconnect see if it helpd to reset ECU.

ROLL ON VFRD !!!!

• Member Contributer

When you restart it after warmup rev the motor and watch the exhaust port and see if black smoke is exiting the exhaust pipe.

• Member Contributer

Well the fuel level sensor is a float device so it would be possible for this to have got bent out of whack in a tip over. There's a procedure for checking it in the service manual, and it doesn't look difficult to extract for testing.

post-22267-0-42974800-1436412246.jpg

• Member Contributer

Lift the tank and check the air filter too. Maybe something shifted and is blocking the filter.

Check battery connections , look for the easy stuff first .

• 2 weeks later...

Archived