Rear Fender Mod With Staintunes

• Member Contributer

Hi all,

Just picked up a pristine '02 that has Staintune pipes. Everything else is stock on the bike and the first thing I'd like to do is remove the back fender and move the license plate up higher. Does anyone have any pics of this mod done with Staintunes?

I'm not interested in an aftermarket product.

After a quick inspection, it does not appear that I can get the license plate all the way up between the pipes without cutting the plate. The NH plate is just too wide. So where do most of you try to get the plate located in relationship to the pipes? Just below? And how did you deal with the license plate light and wiring?

I searched for "rear fender mod" and a few other related terms but didn't get exactly what I was looking for so I thought I would post.

Thanks!

~Chris

It's very simply remove the rear fender ass & then remove the steel bkt that is part of that ass which has plate light attached. Then bolt just the bkt back in place & bolt your plate to the bkt. If your able to move plate higher than the standard position of the plate light just move the light higher on bkt by drilling new mounting holes higher. If you can go higher than mounting the existing plate light allows don't use it & mount aftermarket small plate light instead you can even buy led light plate mounting bolts if needed.

• Member Contributer

Did the mod last night. I like the way it came out. It was a little bit of a bear getting to the bolts that secure the fender. Had to remove the rear cowl to get at it. Once it was off, I removed the steel bracket and remounted the plate/light assembly to the bracket. I re-routed the wire so that it is up and out of the way. Thanks for the help!

Fender Mod

I also did a few more things while at it. I disabled the PAIR valve, removed the snorkel from the air box, and disabled the flapper valve. Good thing I got in there too. Nice big mouse nest in front of the air box with lots of seeds in the air filter. All cleaned out and ready to go now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived