Clutch And Brake Fluid

So while doing the photo challenge, I noticed something odd with my clutch and brake fluid reservoirs. On my clutch reservoir, I could distinctly see a fluid level where on the brake reservoir, I could not.

Standing the bike straight up and down, this is what I see.

Clutch:

IMG_20150602_174339_zps9fr8rzek.jpg

Clutch on the side stand:

IMG_20150602_174401_zpsadegsuzb.jpg

Brake:

IMG_20150602_174352_zpswsszqscl_edit_143

And brake side with bike tipped to the side (as if side stand was on the right side of bike):

IMG_20150602_174419_zpslsmusv5o.jpg

Is this normal and correct?

So I should see a level in one and not the other? That seems odd since the reservoirs look (and I assume operate) identical.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Forum Fiend

take a glass of water half full and lean it from side to side..that's what's happening.....there should be a small amount of space in the master cylinder when level to allow for expansion of the fluid due to heat

Huh... because I see the level change on the clutch side, but the brake side seems completely full and I never see a level line. I wasn't sure if there was a diaphragm that was supposed to keep the air pocket out of the reservoirs. The white line you see on the brake side looks like something displacing all the air.

I just want to make sure that it's right since my front brakes seem kind of important.

So I should see a level in one and not the other?

I have a similar situation. I read somewhere that the brake reservoir should never be topped off (for any bike). The day I took delivery of the bike I noticed the brake lever was hard and one of the calipers was dragging. The first thing I did was free up a couple of stuck pistons. Then I went to drain out some of the fluid in the reservoir, but one of the cap screws was stripped. So I drained a little from each caliper instead. Before going any further, however, I've been wondering how the levels should appear so I am glad you asked this question.

I believe your pads are worn. The brake fluid "missing" from the master cyclinder is in the caliper pistons that are futher out because the pads are worn.

Archived