More Brake Issues.....

I have followed some of the brake threads with interest. I noticed my lever would pull back to the grip, this after 500 miles and the first service, so I bled the brakes, I got some air out and all seemed good.

I then went on trip through London, the City and to Docklands to go to Bikeshed.cc ( worth going to) with everything getting very hot, near Docklands the lever would pull all the way back to the bars, slightly worrying! OK on the way home.

I gave the bike a full brake fluid change with some decent bike specific fluid, now everything is good! Lever is solid, however at the same time I cleaned and inspected the calipers ( hint when removing calipers protect the rims with tape, doh). I noticed that the Pistons were what I can only describe as having 'chipped edges' the chrome finish was clearly damaged. This bike has never been ridden in winter and seen rain just once.

Given that here in the UK we use loads of salt on the road, this is going to be a problem in the winter with risk of pitting and subsequent seizure or fluid leaks, next service I can see a warranty claim.

Are Honda using cheap parts, is there a general problem with the brakes? Anyone else see the same thing?

there are 3 of us had new calipers under warranty for this. I ride in winter and ws told "neglect" but they replaced them anyway.Get to a dealer. If my replacement set go the same way I'm afraid the VFR will be moved on

I personally wouldn't wait until the next service, nip it in the bud now before it gets worse, it doesn't sound like what I had, it sounds worse.

I didn't have that much play in my lever, are your seals ok?

If my replacement parts fail again within a year from now, I'd simply send them back to my dealer as they have a warranty from supply / installation.

After that time I'd replace with 3rd party brembos as the bike is too good to part company over something like that.

• Member Contributer

I was at the Stealer geting an OEM part last week. I sat on quite a few bikes...on the showroom floor that were brand new. Several of them (I'd say about 3 our of 8) I could pull the brake lever back to the bar...dumb sales dingbat said "clutches" are just heavy sometimes...

So, not only are the sales people stoopid...can't tell right from left when you are facing them, the assembly of brake systems from the factory or at the dealer is just a matter of luck...maybe they did it right, maybe not. Depends on what minimum wage tech you got that week...one who is knowledgeable and follows the manufacturer's instructions or one who is "winging it"...

Needless to say, the FJ-09 was the worst...the brakes actually felt very similar to the clutch...I warned the sales manager...but I don't think it will get a look.

Matt

Archived