Scottoiler Installation

fink

• Member Contributer

Following the purchase of my latest aquisition one of my first jobs was to fit a Scottoiler. I'm one of those firm believers and have had them fitted on most of my bikes.
First job was to get the bike into the shed. Which on a wet day in March meant negotiating the quagmire of a lawn up to the shed, which was no mean feat in itself. Least I know what traction control sounds like.

DSC_3101_zpshfprxfch.jpg

Seats , side tank panels removed along with the 2 bolts at the front of the tank, which gives you a good opportunity for a rumble about the tool kit.

DSC_3105_zpsg8yti6nl.jpg

Lift the tank using the rear wheel spanner and its handle to hold it up. (it doesnt fit like it shows in the book or maybe its just me).
Locate the BROWN one way valve for the intake duct solenoid on the right side under the air box.

1.%202014%20ON%20VFR%20VAC%20PIPE_zpsm3d

You will need to cut the pipe coming off the back of it (it is a bit tight, remember to protect the frame). Insert the T piece supplied in the kit. It is a bit fiddly due to the tight space holding the hose with a pair of needle nosed pliers will help.
Thats the hard part done. Insert the vacum tube into the damper elbow and connect it to the T piece.

4.%202014%20ON%20VFR%20DAMPER%20ON%20T-P

Next feed the vacum pipe to the rear of the bike, Easiest way is to follow the vacum pipe between the cylinders, then the electrical harness though to the rear of the tank, utilising the brackets holding the electrical harness.

DSC_3114_zps3km3cq6j.jpg

Remove the lower chain guard 2 bolts one on the side the other underneath. Scottoiler will provide the necessary bracket for the 2014 on bike (Part No SA-0098BL) if you give them a bell. (Its a dispenser place with a bit cut off and a washer)
Its best to clip the dispenser tube onto the bracket and roughly align it to the rear sprocket between the 6 and 7 o clock position, " The slash cut facing outwards" to quote the downloadable instructions. Once your happy nip up the jubilee clip and bolt (you will need a few washers), feed the dispenser pipe underneath the chain and over to the rear brake pipe.
Recheck the plates alignment and tiewrap the pipe to the rear brake pipe.

8.%202014%20ON%20VFR%20DELIVERY%20TUBE%2

Once your happy remove the bolt and extra washers.(The plate should stay roughly in place) Offer up the lower chain guard remembering to place the provided washer on the inside and secure in place. Leave the top bolt slack and recheck the position of the dispenser tip . When your happy with its position nip up the bolt.

DSC_3119_zpsfrirfqxc.jpg

6.%20%202014%20ON%20VFR%20ADAPTER_zpshfj

7.%20%202014%20ON%20VFR%20DISPENSER_zpsd

Feed the dispenser pipe alongside the brake and abs up to the back of the rear suspension and then feed it up the back of the battery box, along the sub frame rails. Use tie wraps to attach to the pipes.
Select where you want the resivoir to go. For me it was along side the rear taol light connector. I removed the clip for the tool roll rubber and drilled a hole in the resivoir bracket large enough for me to thread a tiewrap through and connected it to the mudguard.

Next I fed through both tubes and connected them up making sure i was happy with their length before trimming. Filled the resevoir and primed the system and set the drip rate as per instructions.

DSC_3123_zpssnnuict6.jpg

Went to the fridge, got a beer and sat back and admired my handywork.

DSC_3095_zpsdy6bcm8r.jpg

Thanks to Scottoiler for allowing me to use one or two of their pics in this thread.

http://installguides.ibooking.com/support_installation-guides-en.asp?command=model&id_manufacturer=9&id_model=508&kit=

http://www.scottoiler.com/us/Spares-Adaptors/VFR800-2014-on-Adapter/flypage.tpl.html

• Member Contributer

Very clear and detailed write-up. :beer:

DO make sure the plug of the vacuum line does not rub/protect it against rubbing.

If is rubs through, the unit will stop working.

post-8974-0-26918300-1432640243.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the pictures, your explanation really helped. Much better than the model specifc instructions on the web site. Kit is good and seems to work well. Scotoiler were really quick in sending the part needed for the VFR. Overall worth doing.

• 9 months later...
  • Member Contributer

How are you finding living with it Fink? I had one years ago on an SZR600 and was not impressed, tbf though think the local bike shop made a pigs ear of it as the oil was going onto the chain rather than the sprocket.

Was thinking of the electronic version as no need to cut a vac line. (Myself and bike mods rarely see eye to eye.)

• Member Contributer

Love it, have had one on most of my bikes for the past 20 years. If you take the time to set it up properly. Most bike shops don't really bother about that part.

Archived