Headlight Replacement - Really?

• Member Contributer

It's been so long, I should probably be using the noob forum. And I'm sure there are some hints on 6th gen headlight replacement here somewhere, but I haven't found them.

My first attempt without RTFM was to reach in and try pulling the connector off the bulb socket. Before getting into details, my hands just don't fit in the places they need to go.

So I looked in the manual (page 20-5), which says to: "remove the upper cowl cover" per page 2-12; which says to: "remove the lower cowl and inner half cowl" per page 2-8; and then the trouble starts.

First, can everyone else just reach in there and yank things out without removing faring panels? I can get the high beam connector/boot off, but I can't put any pressure on the spring clip. I can't even get the low beam connector off the socket, when I wiggle the connector it just wiggles the socket around in the spring clip.

Otherwise, is there a minimal way to loosen panels to get access?

I think the trick is to get the "left/right meter panel" off, the manual says there's a release pin holding the meter panel and then locking tabs. I'm going out to give that a try, and report back later today (hopefully).

• Member Contributer

It is possible - it just takes a strong a$$ squeeze of the connector. At a VFRD meet a few years ago, it took 8 of us giving it a try to finally pull the connector on a 6th gen. All I can say is keep at it. Here's a video of the front cowl removal. Pulling it partially off might give you more room to get a grip on it.

• Member Contributer

Thanks, that was exactly what I needed.

After I got the right Dash Cover off, I could see what I was doing. Then knowing how things worked, I was able to do the left side without pulling off anything. I'd say having the cover off didn't really help that much.

I took some pics and will post them later.

• Member Contributer

Note, edited after re-reading posts by Cogswell and JZH. I did it the hard way.

The main tricks are:

- You can do it blind with panels on if you know how the spring clips work.

- See next post by JZH for squeeze points on the low beam connectors (high beam connectors just pull off)

- But note Cogswell's "it just takes a strong a$$ squeeze of the connector"

- I was able to reach under the boot and release the clip with connector still on

- Then I flopped it all out still connected, and could attack it with a flat blade screwdriver

I wasn't fussy about bulbs, just got what the local NAPA store carried.

High beam disassembly:

6thGenHeadlights1

Low beam disassembly:

I did it the hard way, but see next post by JZH below for squeeze points on the low beam connectors.

Once you get the connectors off, the rubber boot comes off easily. You might still have trouble seeing the clips at that point.

The low beam clips are similar to the high beams, you push in on the right side but then down to release.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

If they're anything like the ST1300 headlight connectors, there are little plastic tabs you have to press before the blades can be released.

Ciao,

Righto - Thanks for the link. And Cogswell gave me that hint too.

I edited my post accordingly.

Headlight replacements...another reason I've considered a naked bike to eventually replace my VFR. :sad:

I've done it without removing fairings/cowls but my hands just barely fit in there. The spring clips are probably the worst part of the process. What a pain. At least it's very rare for me to have to replace those lights.

I've got big hands and managed to get there in there and do it all by feel, but it wasn't easy. Lots of cuss words. But it is possible.

Archived