License/registration Plate Bulb

Skids

• Member Contributer

My license/registration plate bulb has blown. Bought a replacement but it doesn't work and I'm assuming I've bought the wrong one but can't find a proper reference to the bulb type in my Haynes manual.

There is voltage between the single connector and the wall of the housing but I noticed that whilst the housing has only a single connector (see photo) the bulb has 2 (see 2nd photo) so I'm assuming I bought the wrong one.

Anyone any help?

Please note this is a UK bike so probably different to a US model? ? ?

IMAG02841_zps8arqvdnh.jpg

IMAG02851_zpsu4rk5m6r.jpg

• Member Contributer

Tried removing mine to have a look but couldn't get it off.

in my owners manual on page 149 it just says license light 12v 5w so after having a look at halfords something like

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/motorcycling/motorcycle-parts/halfords-bike-it-motorcycle-bulb-hmb207s-12v-5w

Cheers cubanskiv :beer:

• Member Contributer

I've replaced at least two of the entire modules. One of the wires seems to get pinched and then the light does not work.

Mark

• Member Contributer

The bulb you have pictured has two positive terminals on the bottom, and if you look in the socket there is only one. So you need a single filament bulb with a single terminal on the bottom. Ground (earth) is provided through the sides.

In fact, the little nubs on the sides should be in different positions from the dual filament bulbs as to not allow them to properly seat. Probably (just guessing) the dual filament nubs (for lack of proper term) are staggered and on the single filament bulbs they are at the same level.

Archived