Plasti Dip Your 5Th Gen Vfr?

VFRfix

My red 5th gen is starting to fade and I am wondering if anyone has rattle-can plasti-dipped their fairings... If so how many cans?

recommend a brand or seller?

How long does the job last? I heard some people spray clear coat over it.. hmmm

If you are just spraying one color either black or white which can be found at Home Depot,I would say 5-6 cans for the whole thing should be enough. For the fuel Tank you will want to get something like techspec grips otherwise your knees will start rubbing it off. Other colors you may need more because there is usually a base coat of white. It will last quite awhile and can be easily touched up without redoing the whole bike. they have a glossifer, but I dont feel a clear coat is necessary even on the fuel tank. Just use a spraying mist wax and be careful when fueling. Even a couple drops of gas doesn't seem to melt it but a lot probably would.

Wow black earth WI... I went to school at madison and did some fly fishing in black earth.. well before I went vegan lol how is the weather there now?

is plasti-dip easy to use as well? It seems like it isn't too easy to screw up your job... Will it last two years? Or is a year stretching it?

• Member Contributer

I used about 8 cans to dip mine black from white. It's fairly durable, but it's hard to touch up and look good if you rub a spot off. I rubbed a spot off on the tank where your crotch rubs it and it wasn't easy to blend when trying to touch up. I clear coated the seat cowl because I kept dragging my boot across of it. It certainly toughened it up but it was much harder to peel off when I went back to white. The more coats you spray, the better it looks and the easier it is to remove.

• Member Contributer

There are actually several post about using plasti-dip and even a website that sells kits for doing your whole car, www.dipyourcar.com

My experience with it was real quick, I used it on my Ducati when I tried a short style fairing. I felt it was great for trying a new/different color to see what it would look like, but felt it was really only temporary.

• Member Contributer

Don't know if i'm too late with this reply. Rustoleum Painter's Touch Gloss Apple Red is a really close match to the OE red on my 98 VFR. See my post from June 8, 14 titled "An Inexpensive Alternative to Colorrite" Pix included.

Archived