Abs Plastic Body Work Decal Questions

HondaVRider

I am in the process of getting a 1997 Honda VFR750f back in shape after pitching it in November of 2012.

I finally managed to find a replacement lower for it, the same part number, and paint color, but the decal is different.

After closer inspection of it, and other Hondas that I have, it seems that the decals are just put on on top of the clear coat. I figured I would have to have it repainted.

However, I was thinking I would just remove the existing decal and then apply the correct one.

So the questions are:

1) How should I go about removing the existing decal without damaging the paint on the new piece of bodywork? I was thinking about using a heat gun on a moderate setting to warm it up and then peel it off.

2) Once I remove it, what is the best way to clean and prep the surface for the new decal without damaging the clear coating?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Welcome to VFRD!

1) You've got it spot on. If there's any residue left you can use eucalyptus oil, or any number of dedicated gum remover products.

2) Isopropyl alcohol is the best cleaner for pretty much anything. But wax and grease remover (available from any auto or paint shop) is adequate.

• Member Contributer

I like to use a small heat gun with as little heat as possible (to keep from damaging the paint obviously!).

Archived