A Short Trip Up The Hudson.

• Member Contributer

Good stuff Joe.

Not only is it tough to pass up DD donuts, you have to hold your ground and insist that you want only one donut. Value and brainwashing makes them think you are an idiot for only taking one when they sell them in pairs. Be strong

• Member Contributer

Good stuff Joe.

Not only is it tough to pass up DD donuts, you have to hold your ground and insist that you want only one donut. Value and brainwashing makes them think you are an idiot for only taking one when they sell them in pairs. Be strong

1st time in the USA (for 5 weeks on business) stayed at a nice hotel but one night felt like taking home some pizza.

Didnot pay too much attention, then they came out with this HUGE package............. Buy one get one free...... :wacko:

• Member Contributer

Good stuff Joe.

They are like dealers vfrAustin!

Nice read. The Palisades Parkway is my usual route out of town.

Tiki: Yes, my blood pressure goes down immediately when I get on the Palisades..

Good stuff Joe.

1st time in the USA (for 5 weeks on business) stayed at a nice hotel but one night felt like taking home some pizza.

Didnot pay too much attention, then they came out with this HUGE package............. Buy one get one free...... :wacko:

That's how they get you hooked Dutchy! Ha Ha!

There will be deer! And the occasional speed cop. Especially if you continue further N on the Taconic Parkway, all the way to I-90.

joepopp, et. al.: I hope you have been to Motorcyclepedia in Newburgh, NY. Terrific place to visit. Another (not motorcycle centric), place to visit is Storm King Mt. sculpture park. Also: Run route 23, East or West for major entertainment. There a relatively new moto-centric coffee, sandwich shop in Hudson, NY; you'll love it. Good fortune, R3~

• Member Contributer

There will be deer! And the occasional speed cop. Especially if you continue further N on the Taconic Parkway, all the way to I-90.

joepopp, et. al.: I hope you have been to Motorcyclepedia in Newburgh, NY. Terrific place to visit. Another (not motorcycle centric), place to visit is Storm King Mt. sculpture park. Also: Run route 23, East or West for major entertainment. There a relatively new moto-centric coffee, sandwich shop in Hudson, NY; you'll love it. Good fortune, R3~

Roebling:

Thanks for the heads up on the deer and the police. I've seen plenty of both but no incidents. Knock wood.

How the heck did I miss Motorcyclepedia?!?! THANK YOU! Next time out I will stop there for sure.

I've been to Storm King many times and love that place! Will run 23 and visit the Sandwich shop as well.

I really appreciate the location advice.

• Member Contributer

Tiki: Yes, my blood pressure goes down immediately when I get on the Palisades..

My blood pressure went up when I was driving Palisades a month ago. The pavement is horrible! Beautiful ride though. It didn't help that I was driving a 12 passenger van with HD suspension.

• Member Contributer

Hey Joe (where you going with that....)

I was shopping for a guitar case for my old (1951) J-50 today and your ride report made me remember that you were looking for options on guitar mounting. Anyway, I saw some really rugged looking SKB cases at the local music shop. They are the iSeries (http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=866&o=&offset=&c=83&s=75) cases and the specs sound like the only thing (well, maybe a custom Hoffee) that would hold up to the rigors of motorcycle use. It measured about 50" wide, which is about 5-6" wider than the OEM luggage. The only trick would be mounting it. The exterior felt solid enough to mount an adapter plate for a givi top rack directly, but I would probably try to find a way to mount some aluminum reinforcements inside the case.

The adapter plate would allow you to remove the guitar case easily, but maybe not as securely as directly bolting the case to a rack of some kind.

Anyway, sorry for the thread detour.

• Member Contributer

My blood pressure went up when I was driving Palisades a month ago. The pavement is horrible! Beautiful ride though. It didn't help that I was driving a 12 passenger van with HD suspension.

They are slowly repaving but there is quite a bit that is very bumpy. Some real head shockers!

Hey Joe (where you going with that....)

I was shopping for a guitar case for my old (1951) J-50 today and your ride report made me remember that you were looking for options on guitar mounting. Anyway, I saw some really rugged looking SKB cases at the local music shop. They are the iSeries (http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=866&o=&offset=&c=83&s=75) cases and the specs sound like the only thing (well, maybe a custom Hoffee) that would hold up to the rigors of motorcycle use. It measured about 50" wide, which is about 5-6" wider than the OEM luggage. The only trick would be mounting it. The exterior felt solid enough to mount an adapter plate for a givi top rack directly, but I would probably try to find a way to mount some aluminum reinforcements inside the case.

The adapter plate would allow you to remove the guitar case easily, but maybe not as securely as directly bolting the case to a rack of some kind.

Anyway, sorry for the thread detour.

MadScientist:

Thread detour appreciated! I had a great plan to mount a gator case in the place of a saddle bag but after some really hard shocks this SKB may be the only way to go. I looked at it before but it's so dang huge! But as you said not much wider than the OEM bags. I might go with two saddle bags and no top case and go for this SKB. Thank you so much for your input! Touring with a jumbo? Am I nuts? :goofy:

• Member Contributer

. Thank you so much for your input! Touring with a jumbo? Am I nuts? :goofy:

I think you know the answer to this question already...

Like I said, the SKB is probably the most rugged thing I've seen. It's no featherweight either, the mfg says it weighs about 30 lbs

• Member Contributer

. Thank you so much for your input! Touring with a jumbo? Am I nuts? :goofy:

I think you know the answer to this question already...

Like I said, the SKB is probably the most rugged thing I've seen. It's no featherweight either, the mfg says it weighs about 30 lbs

Ha Ha! Yes I do!

I'm ok with the weight, Lighter than a passenger!

Archived